Should I go see my doctor?

I recently, a couple months ago moved away from home to go to university. But, they take attendance there and I have missed quite a few days due to not being able to wake up in the morning. This sounds stupid, but I'll set more than 1 alarm clock and sleep through all of them in the morning. This has become an issue at school and I have told the dean about it and she wants me to go see my doctor and get a doctors note finding out what's wrong because it is affecting me and my classmates. I agreed to do this. However, I am going to feel stupid walking into my doctor's office and saying, "I have trouble getting to sleep at night and then when I finally do, I have trouble waking up in the morning, but its mostly just the waking up in the morning. I'll sleep right through multiple alarms and it's starting to affect my attendance at school. I don't have a roommate so there is nobody to wake me up." What is he going to say? Will he make me go for tests or just tell me to watch my diet etc..? Or will he subscribe me some sort of medication? Does anybody have any idea? I'm 18, so will this have to involve my parents? Because I would like for them not to find out..

You might have sleep apnea, which is a real and (can be) serious disorder. It can be treated.

You might have insomnia, which can be treated.

It won't hurt to see a doctor. I think it will depend on all the factors. He may send you to a sleep clinic if he thinks you have a disorder.

Being embarassed about a symptom is not a reason to ignore what could be a medical issue. Yeah, it might be lifestyle, I don't know, but there are definitely common issues that are real, medical and treatable. So it's not like you're going to look like an idiot for saying "I can't get to sleep/wake up"

i find the people who have this problem were usually ignoring the alarm clock in their grade school and high school years also.

it developed into a longstanding habit of theirs and was ingrained to the point where their bodies didnt respect the alarm, hence never got up to turn it off.

i dont know if sleep apnea henders this, because i knew a woman who had that but never slept through her alarms.

What has your mood been like? I know when I swing into depressive phases I have troubles sleeping/waking up. Also, are you napping in the afternoons/evenings? There is nothing wrong with seeing a doctor, especially when it is affecting your schoolwork.

I thought sleep apnea was pauses in breathing during sleep. And I don't have that. And insomnia is having trouble sleeping. But with me, its not that severe and its mostly just waking up in the morning I have trouble with because I'm such a heavy sleeper. I don't think he'd send me to a sleep clinic for that...what do you think..

do you put your alarm clocks on the other side of the room so you have to get up to turn them off? That's what I do. Also try different kinds of alarm clocks. I have a song on my phone that I use but i've gotten so used to it that i sleep through it so now i have to switch up the song every few months.

i dated a guy who's alarm sounded like a dragster going off in the room right above our heads. he wouldnt even flinch when it went off until a minute or so later.

he also had trouble sleeping until the early hours of the morning.

when he lived with his parents they didnt make him go to bed at any certain time or get up.

he's been late to work several times because he was never disciplined to his alarm clock.

Factors that i think attributed to these problems:

only drinks cokes (caffiene)

poor diet

no exercise

has always stayed up late and slept late.

i dated a guy who's alarm sounded like a dragster going off in the room right above our heads. he wouldnt even flinch when it went off until a minute or so later.

he also had trouble sleeping until the early hours of the morning.

when he lived with his parents they didnt make him go to bed at any certain time or get up.

he's been late to work several times because he was never disciplined to his alarm clock.

I have the EXACT same problem. I set multiple alarms, and will maybe wake up 1 second to switch them off and doze right back off to sleep!

Only when I get a job do I make it a point to wake up and sleep early, but as soon as that's over I'm back to my bad habits and routine.

My parent(s) never made me go to sleep early or wake up early so yea. I'm not blaming them, only myself. When I don't have to work I feel like I don't have any real responsibilities anyways to wake up for.

It can be hard trying to tell a dean even that you aren't attending due to not waking up. BUt personally, I don't think there's any medicine for it, besides re training yourself to wake up and sleep earlier. Take it from someone who has this problem, and probably attended less than half her classes one year.

Try excersize too. (I don't drink caffeine so I wouldn't know if this effects sleep.) Just basically try getting in a daily routine, and being in bed by 11. The first nights it'll obviously be very hard to get to sleep, but the key is to switch off computers/tv's and maybe read a book.

If you don't fall asleep on time, try and get a friend or someone to call you in the morning (or parent?) and make sure you wake up. You'll only need this the first week or so.

The same night go to sleep early AGAIN> and continue this routine. (You'll be tired anyways from the little sleep that night). Oh and try not to stay up too late on weekends either if possible till your sleep cycle adjusts..

see, i'm finding that the way you were raised plays a huge role in the alarm clock wars later in life.

my dad would get up and beat on the door and yell at us if he didnt hear us stir right after the alarm went off. it got to the point we were wide awake when HIS alarm went off in his room.

we feared his wrath.. lol

Archived