Is there anything I can do? Longing for a cat

redrose85

A year ago I asked one of the landlords (a husband/wife team) if my bf and I could bring a cat home, if we paid extra rent and/or a pet deposit. The landlord told me that he and his son are deathly allergic to any animals with fur. I tried asking the wife- she said that they simply aren't allowed in the building, and we could have a fish in a bowl. That was the end of it.

I have noticed their brother in law (he lives in the small junior suite that used to be ours) walking a german shepherd quite often. At first I figured that it belonged to the family, but then I remembered that the family is supposedly allergic to animals. (I have since found out that is untrue) Tonight, I saw the brother in law take the dog into his apartment, so I know for sure now that the dog is living with him. Now that just isn't fair. Our apartment has no carpets. It's all hardwood flooring and we own everything in it. The only thing we don't own are the curtains, which are simply there to block out light. They're nothing pretty.

My guy and I both love cats and dream of being pet-owners again (both had lots of pets growing up) we always visit the kittens at the shelters and pet shops and leave feeling pretty downtrodden knowing that we can't bring one home. We do not plan on moving out of this suite until we buy a home, and as long-term tenants (who have been lied to!) we both feel as though the landlords and caretakers are being hypocrites. Why should the brother in law be allowed to have a large dog in a very small suite, and we cannot have a small cat in a large suite... What can we do? Should we confront them?

I think you can confront them about the lie, but that they still have the right to forbid pet-owning for their tenants. It is not fair, but it is their house. We asked before signing the lease if we could have cats in that house, and it was allowed. Everyone in our building has cats, so we were confident that we'd have no problems. But this is the first building I live in that I am also allowed to keep a pet- in my students house it was forbidden, and also in my first apartment.

Any chance in the near future that you'll be able to move? Or is this the house you want to live in on the long term?

It's a small apartment building, not a basement suite or anything like that. I could understand if it was someone's house. We both love this place (other than not being able to have a cat) and do not want to move at all. We are hoping that this will be our home until we buy a house because the rent is good, it's a beautiful large suite and location, location, location!

Exactly what Bella said! I got a cat and didn't tell management because they wanted a crap load of money for an animal who pretty much doesn't do anything all day!

Maybe they'll figure it out when I move out and take some of my deposit, but it's worth it to me.

I did it before when I was a kid and my mom rented. She just didn't tell the landlord and I don't think they ever figured it out.

The problem is that we live in a small building and the landlords come by often. I asked my boyfriend if he would like to just go ahead and get a cat anyways, but he doesn't want to defy the landlords. He says we will have to wait until we have our own house... phooey. I guess we wouldn't be able to get full enjoyment out of owning a pet if we were always worried about them finding out.

Apparently this dog is being used as a guard dog by the landlord's son. Gimme a break! I've lived in this building for over 2 years now and NEVER had need for any kind of security system/animal. The way I see it, there is no way that a big dog should be living in the building if it's "pet free". The kicker is that his suite has carpets and ours doesn't! What damage could a cat really do??

It IS very unfair. I know how you feel, believe me. It's just remotely related (not to pets), but in a building I lived in, it was impossible to have toilet facilities inside the rooms/studios. It was forbidden for technical reasons, it was a former office building that was transformed into small apartments for single people who are between graduating and making decent money for an actual house.

The landlord had two sons living in the biggest rooms (of course they had first choice). We all had to share 4 toilets (20 of us). In the course of time we noticed that we never saw any of the sons using the common toilets. That made us wonder if they were specially evolved people without bladders and bowels...

As it turned out, the landlord illegally placed toilets inside his sons' apartments. When we found out, I guess one of my housemates told the company that took care of the practical matters. They informed the city counsel and the toilets were removed. That was the best day I spent in that house, lol.

The problem with just taking the cat is that you've been explicitly informed that you can't, and if this is part of the lease (the agreement between you and the landlord), it can be reason for them to end the contract. If this is the house you wish to live in for a longer while, I wouldn't take a risk. If you live in it just for the time being... taking a cat can wait.

Archived