One month from today...

I'll officially be in college. And let's just say that "I'm freaking out" is a bit of an understatement at this point.

I've always been a very smart student and school has always come easy to me. I would rarely study and still pulled off a 4.0 all throughout high school. I'm not a partier/never drink and I don't think thats gonna change once I start college.

I guess I'm just looking for any advice/tips/words of wisdom to calm me down a bit. I'm sure once I get into the groove of things I'll be fine, but I don't know what to expect and that scares me more than anything.

work your required courses over time. no need to try to finish them all at once and then you become overburdened with your major classes.

make use of campus resources. if you need help writing a paper, go to the writing center or writing "lab" (i used to work at one--wonderfully helpful to many students, even if it's just checking their grammar). or if your campus has a computer lab, often those places allow you to print things for free (or up to a certain number of pages). this will save you lots of money on paper and ink.

always ask for help. if you are having trouble understanding the assignment, ask the teacher. i often woudl misread assignment sheets and do the wrong sort of assignment asked for. i didn't ask so i'd get a bad grade. don't feel like you're burdening someone by asking to elaborate.

keep your student ID for as long as you can. i've been out of school 3 years now and i still use my student ID for things. it saves money! i saved $3 at the movies the other day! i'll use it till i don't look like htat anymore!

pay attention to parking! many campuses are hardcore about issuing parking tickets.

seriously, avoid early morning classes for a while till you get the swing of school. it's just easier that way.

and for me it was easier to schedule all of my classes the same day. it helped to fill up Tuesdays and Thursdays if I could with classes so I could have the other days of the week to catch up on reading, homework, or extra shifts at my job.

DONT BUY BOOKS AT THE BOOKSTORE if you can help it. such a rip off. I bought a USED text book for $80 one year and found out about link removed the next day. I looked up that book and someone was selling it brand new for $5!!!! Also don't re-sell the books at the bookstore. Such a rip off. you're better off holding on to them a while and sellin them online.

good luck! college is great, even if you aren't a partier. i never was and i loved school (though i hated my major!)

definitely the biggest suggestion i have is the bookstore thing. man, i remember i bought one brand new book for $120, never used it (even though the professor required it), and i tried to sell it back to teh bookstore at the end of the semester, and I got $15 when it was still basically brand new. Then they went and sold it for $60. I know a lot of bookstores like that. So buy online and sell online if you can.

what's your major going to be?

I already bought my books (like $500!!!!) but I'll get reimbursed through one of the scholarships I got, but still... I'd rather use the money for my credits and NOT my books!

I'm majoring in kinesiology and would like to be admitted to the athletic training program next year, but only like 20 get in so hopefully everything works out. Then again, i could also do a total 180 and go into something completely different lol who knows?!?

Hers covered A LOT of great stuff. I definitely second the textbooks thing. Lately I've even been saving a lot of money by getting by without textbooks.

Also get close to your professors and talk to them often, especially for your major classes since you'll probably have them more than once. They'll be more willing to help if you get on a friendly level with them.

Hers covered A LOT of great stuff. I definitely second the textbooks thing. Lately I've even been saving a lot of money by getting by without textbooks.

Also get close to your professors and talk to them often, especially for your major classes since you'll probably have them more than once. They'll be more willing to help if you get on a friendly level with them.

agreed about the professors. they will come in handy when or if you need letters of recommendation for grad school or a job!

also, one thing that hurt me a bit, don't think that because you barely studied in HS and got straight A's the same is going to happen in college. I failed my first biology exam because of that... haha. So yea be careful about that.

Also, make sure you ask about professors before taking their classes. Sometimes a professor can make or break the course.

And this might be a little silly, but try not to jump into a relationship the minute you get there. Spend time with different people, get to know diff people, take advantage of the orientation activities.. I know they're dull, but you get to meet people that way too.

Uhmmmm..... what else... buy a mini fridge.... they are super handy when it's 3am and you're up studying...

Try to spend some time getting to know your roommate/s... a bad relationship with your roommate can be very frustrating

I'll think of more and post them.

also, one thing that hurt me a bit, don't think that because you barely studied in HS and got straight A's the same is going to happen in college. I failed my first biology exam because of that... haha. So yea be careful about that.

Trust me, I know this is gonna be my downfall. I'm worried that because hs never really prepared me in terms of study skills/habits, I'm gonna be screwed when I do actually have to do it. But I have to keep my GPA to keep my scholarship and if I want to get into the Athletic Training program I have to have really good grades.

Also, make sure you ask about professors before taking their classes. Sometimes a professor can make or break the course.

I dont have anyone that I can ask about professors, but i did check out link removed before signing up for classes and actually managed to aviod a few based on comments from students! (thank god for that site!)

And this might be a little silly, but try not to jump into a relationship the minute you get there. Spend time with different people, get to know diff people, take advantage of the orientation activities.. I know they're dull, but you get to meet people that way too.

I wont! My bf broke up with me a few months ago for this very reason. I had been dating him basically sophmore-senior year and he was my first bf and all that. But he broke up with me because he "wanted to me to expirence life" and Im guessing he meant in college, so thats exactly what I plan on doing. I guess he really did do a good thing for me by breaking up becuase one of the things that im most excited about is finally meeting new people and dating new poeple. not right away, but eventually. I think its something I need to do, since i never really did it in highschool.

Uhmmmm..... what else... buy a mini fridge.... they are super handy when it's 3am and you're up studying...

Try to spend some time getting to know your roommate/s... a bad relationship with your roommate can be very frustrating

doesnt really apply to me. I'm still living at home and will be until I find a job that pays more than $9/hr lol

Thanks for your input! Greatly appreciated

I agree with the getting to know the professor thing. They will be more willing to help you fix something you have a problem with instead of giving you a bad grade off the bat (I go to a small university though so that might not apply for wherever you're going)

Also, since you're commuting make sure you give yourself enough time to park and get to class. I know parking at my school is ridiculous and it takes awhile to find a spot.

If they're small classes make sure you participate a lot. I've found that most of your grade is participation in these classes and if they learn your name and get to know you you have a better chance at getting a higher grade. Sad, but true in my case.

For most classes you'll receive a syllabus. Usually they change a lot over time, but I like to put the assignments in my calander/planner in pencil so that I never forget something that'll be due. Also use the syllabus when writing papers (sometimes they want papers formatted a certain way.

Archived