Many Straight Men Have Gay Sex

diabolik

I remember hearing about some survey in a psychology class in college. Basically, it asked a bunch of men about if they've ever been attracted to a member of the same sex, if they've ever kissed another of the same sex, if they've ever slept with another of the same sex, if they consider themselves bi, straight or gay.

Basically, a larger percentage said they had feelings for another man or have done stuff with another man, than said they were bi or gay. So basically there are a bunch of men who have slept with other men but still consider themselves straight, not gay.

edit: I didn't look at this article until after I already posted. So yeah, the article says what I've heard about before, not sure if it's the exact same survey I was thinking of or not. People are so funny!

Personally I think the majority of the population is Bisexual to a certain degree, a lot of people just wouldn't admit to having same sex feelings or curiosities at some point in their lives.

I agree with this.

A man who has sex with another man is not straight.

I agree with you. But the point is that these self-categorized 'straight' men portray themselves as straight to the world, including women, which is why many of them are in relationships, including marriage.

The scariest part was how many of these guys don't use protection when having sex with other men. As many of you probably know, STD prevalence (for most STDs) in the gay population is much higher than in the truly hetero male population. So these guys are putting themselves and their wives/gf's at high risk of STDs.

I remember hearing about some survey in a psychology class in college. Basically, it asked a bunch of men about if they've ever been attracted to a member of the same sex, if they've ever kissed another of the same sex, if they've ever slept with another of the same sex, if they consider themselves bi, straight or gay.

Basically, a larger percentage said they had feelings for another man or have done stuff with another man, than said they were bi or gay. So basically there are a bunch of men who have slept with other men but still consider themselves straight, not gay.

edit: I didn't look at this article until after I already posted. So yeah, the article says what I've heard about before, not sure if it's the exact same survey I was thinking of or not. People are so funny!

In a study in France a long time ago, more people believed that Jesus was the son of god than that god existed.

Figure that one out.

In a study in France a long time ago, more people believed that Jesus was the son of god than that god existed.

Figure that one out.

Asking someone if "Jesus is the son of God" implies that, in the context of the question, God exists.

Asking someone if "Jesus is the son of God" implies that, in the context of the question, God exists.

Having sex with men implies that you are gay.

That was the same group of people who were asked those questions (along with many others) about religion. It was a 5-6% difference between the number of people who said they believed in god and the number of people who believed that jesus was the son of god too.

I always find it amusing when people are so quick to call "straight" men who have sex with other men "gay" regardless of the circumstances. Yet they will willingly make an exception for college lesbians. "Oh, it was just a phase."

OK, so they're bisexual. The point is that there are a lot of guys representing themselves as straight, when they are not, even in marriage.

OK, so they're bisexual. The point is that there are a lot of guys representing themselves as straight, when they are not, even in marriage.

I wasn't actually replying to you. Just to the others who were saying that a man who has sex with other men can't categorize himself as straight. You made the distinction between being gay and having gay sex ✔.

Anyway, back on track. I think that in a lot of these cases where men stray from their marriages to have sex with men they probably are gay (just because you only have sex with women, doesn't mean you are straight either). There are a lot of groups of people who are against homosexuality and get married to the opposite sex for social/religious reasons. Clearly at least some of those act on it secretly. This is why it's probably a good idea for married couples to get STD tests too. You never know if it really is a monogamous relationship.

From the article:

"Nearly 10 percent of self-identified straight men reported having sex with at least one man in the past 12 months, a New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene survey of 4,193 men found."

And this is a survey, and there is an obvious self-reporting bias here, such that 10% is probably an underestimate.

If that survey is representative of all men you claim to be straight, then there are actually more 'straight' men having sex with men than there are gay men.

Or put another way, the population of men who have sex with men is more than twice the size of the gay population (the former includes the latter).

From the article:

"Nearly 10 percent of self-identified straight men reported having sex with at least one man in the past 12 months, a New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene survey of 4,193 men found."

And this is a survey, and there is an obvious self-reporting bias here, such that 10% is probably an underestimate.

If that survey is representative of all men you claim to be straight, then there are actually more 'straight' men having sex with men than there are gay men.

Or put another way, the population of men who have sex with men is more than twice the size of the gay population (the former includes the latter).

It's not really surprising, when you think about it. I mean, think about how those avowedly anti-gay folk get themselves so riled on the subject. There's more going on than simply not wanting contact with another man's Johnson. I mean, shoot, if you aren't gay, then what's the big deal? They aren't have sex with -you-.

I think it goes back to the earlier comment that more people have a bi-sexual tendency than really let on. My unscientific stance on the matter is that people feel these urges or feelings or whatever you want to call them, recognize societal conditioning and the associated stigma, then react with outward violence to reassure themselves.

Did anyone catch this study? link removed

Here's the abstract:

"The authors investigated the role of homosexual arousal in exclusively heterosexual men who admitted negative affect toward homosexual individuals. Participants consisted of a group of homophobic men (n = 35) and a group of nonhomophobic men (n = 29); they were assigned to groups on the basis of their scores on the Index of Homophobia (W. W. Hudson & W. A. Ricketts, 1980). The men were exposed to sexually explicit erotic stimuli consisting of heterosexual, male homosexual, and lesbian videotapes, and changes in penile circumference were monitored. They also completed an Aggression Questionnaire (A. H. Buss & M. Perry, 1992). Both groups exhibited increases in penile circumference to the heterosexual and female homosexual videos. Only the homophobic men showed an increase in penile erection to male homosexual stimuli. The groups did not differ in aggression. Homophobia is apparently associated with homosexual arousal that the homophobic individual is either unaware of or denies."

That is brilliant!

I guess we always suspected the homophobe "doth protest too much", but now there's scientific evidence that supports that assertion. Of course, it should be noted that a single, small scale study like this could easily have been manipulated by the researchers to achieve a desired outcome.

hmmm... This is why sexuality is not so black and white. I don't think having sex with the same sex automatically makes you gay/bisexual. There's experimentation, curiosity, etc. And honestly, sex just feels good, and we naturally want more of something that feels good. If there were less women in the world, I believe that there would be more gay men.

Having said that, many of those men are probably bisexual. I think the reason people still identify as straight is because they don't feel different. I was with my ex for about a year before I started calling myself bisexual. I didn't feel different from other people so categorizing myself as something else felt odd to me.

That is brilliant!

I guess we always suspected the homophobe "doth protest too much", but now there's scientific evidence that supports that assertion. Of course, it should be noted that a single, small scale study like this could easily have been manipulated by the researchers to achieve a desired outcome.

Admittedly the sample size is small and it needs to be replicated, but it is interesting nonetheless.

Admittedly the sample size is small and it needs to be replicated, but it is interesting nonetheless.

No doubt. And I thank you for finding this, googs. I will be sure to reference this study in future conversations with homophobes.

i read somewhere that there is a high incidence of black males who voted they could engage in sex with another male yet not consider themselves gay.

not sure what that meant, but there was an actual study or poll on that specifically.

Archived