An immoral favor

appleguy

Is a friend worth losing over having high moral standards?

Or should I be thinking whether that person was a true friend if they asked a favor that was immoral?

Or am I a bad friend for refusing an immoral act?

I've lost a long, close, and special friendship with someone over non-compromise-able morals and values, much regret to a certain extent, but realistically, our values would never align. This time, it's not a friend I'd regret losing anyhow. But still, are personal values and moral standards so important that it's worth losing friends and close ones over?

Or should I be thinking whether that person was a true friend if they asked a favor that was immoral?

I've lost a long, close, and special friendship with someone over non-compromise-able morals and values, much regret to a certain extent, but realistically, our values would never align. This time, it's not a friend I'd regret losing anyhow. But still, are personal values and moral standards so important that it's worth losing friends and close ones over?

If their morals are starting to affect yours, and they are bringing you trouble... yes, sadly, yes.

You'd be surprised how people as they grow up often separate, because they realize their ignorant views as teenagers/college students and their friends are beginning to grow old.

Again, if you can remain friends, without speaking/dealing with these things that cause friction between you, then you can deal with it, but if not, then it may be time to split ways.

Maybe I should have included more info in the post. But my friend asked me to do them a favor and I believe it's wrong. I said 'no, that's wrong' and his response was 'cmonnnnn' which seems like an immature way of convincing me to do it.

But I still stand in doing (or not doing in this case) what is right.

A poster I saw once said it all

"You will never learn to soar like an eagle if you insist on running around with turkeys."

Your reputation and character are judged by the people you surround yourself with and if that doesn't matter to you than know that your life is greatly affected by the company you keep.

It depends on the context of what your friend asked of you. If your friend asked you to cover for him/her so they can cheat on a spouse or asked you to commit murder than I would say its a good idea to cut ties.

Well, I have heard it said that in order to have a friend, you have to forgive them one tragic flaw. Why? because we all have them.

Whatever the flaw is, you do not have to participate, if that bothers you.

Of course, sometimes too much is too much.

Also, I'd rethink the idea of "high" moral standards. You have "A" moral standard. To insist that it is better than someone else's will likely give you trouble.

Archived