Open Club  ·  21 members  ·  Free

Travel and Culture

Airline lost my luggage

leemarie903

I recently traveled on my first vacation out of the country, and my bad luck the airline lost my luggage.

I was told to go to my hotel and call back in an hour when the next flight arrived cuz it should be on that flight. Nope!

I was told to call back on the next flight, then the next and so on, about 5 flights or so, then i had to talk to a supervisor and describe my luggage and the personal things inside and they had to fill out a form.

Im told to call back the next day, after being in tears all night.

A few hours and phone calls later they found it.

Besides almost 2 days of my vacation ruined ,with no change of clothes and toiletries i received my phone bill and its outrageous.

I only brought my cell phone for emergencies and only used it for that.

and for some reason my next phone bill still had charges from the vacation, saying "unbilled from previous month"...

Is there anyway that the airlines can be held accountable for my bill, or even some of it, i really cant afford it and its not fair, i would never have used the phone, if all my belongings didnt go missing.

and if so how would i go about it?

THANKSSSSS

Is there anyway that the airlines can be held accountable for my bill, or even some of it, i really cant afford it and its not fair, i would never have used the phone, if all my belongings didnt go missing.

I highly doubt it. If you look at your airline ticket you'll see a Contract of Carriage. Basically you agreed to that when you bought your ticket. Those contracts absolve the airline of pretty much any liability other than very minor things. Specifically they disclaim any responsibility to incidental damages like your phone bill.

But hey you can always call them up and see if they'll do something for you. Sometimes you get lucky and they give you a voucher for future travel or a bunch of frequent flier miles just to get you to go away.

Airlines are horrible now. They don't even care about customer service anymore. I was stuck at the airport for 2 solid days and they also lost my luggages. I slept and bummed around the airport like a homeless person! I spend like 200-300 dollars easily because airport food was so expensive... and... ya, no meal vouchers, no courtesy hotel ... nothing! arg. i feel for you.

Oh boy. The good news is that they usually do find your luggage. Had it happen to me once, and to some friends I know. It did take a few days though and we spent like $150 (on 3 of us) just so we could have some new undies, pj's, toiletries and clothes the next day/in case we got the luggage late. Ridiculous.

I don't think they can be held accountable. But worth trying.

Did you have holiday/travel insurance? Lots of the insurance packages if they are good will have some cover for expenses if your luggage is delayed. For example if you had to phone the airline, travel extra to meet people / pick things up, or buy things that you need but haven't got because your luggage hasn't arrived when it should have. If you keep receipts of things you have bought and spent and you get written confirmation of the delay from the airline I'd say your insurance company may pay if the airline won't. I heard at least in the UK that airlines don't always have to compensate people for delayed luggage, but some may just because it's good customer service. Check your travel insurance documents and small print to see if it covers luggage delays.

Archived