im pretty sure i suffer from some kind of acute anxiety, and i was wondering if anyone has dealt with it and what they did to help cope with the problem. i dont want to go on medication because i've seen family members struggle with theirs. i'd like to note that depression also runs in my family, my sister and many aunts have it. (i'm 18 and a girl)

the physical feeling of being sick (nausea, headache) is usually a trigger for my anxiety. i HATE feeling even slightly sick and i'll be in a bad mood as long as it persists, i'll feel depressed and agitated. anyone know what i can do?

i'd like to note that depression also runs in my family, my sister and many aunts have it.

All the more reason why you should seek professional counselling to help you overcome it. There's no shame in it and not all medications work the same for everybody. I know you said you don't want to go that route, but do you really think you can beat this on your own? Why go through years of suffering when it could be helped and made managable?

Yes, I have. And I am managing it fairly well without medication.

First thing is to see your doc. See if there is any physical reason for this. If there isn't, doctors can usually recommend you a therapist or other professional to help you get a proper diagnosis on what exactly is going on and what is the best course of treatment for YOU.

Everyone is different. You may be able to manage it without medication. In order to know that though, you need the proper diagnosis and give yourself a fighting chance to nip this in the bud.

I found that once I knew exactly what I was dealing with, and why - it took a lot of my previous aversion to medication away. I am not using any - but knowing what I do now, there would be no shame whatsoever if that was what I needed.

The most important thing is to get better and start feeling more like yourself. tc.

Anxiety can cause depression as part of the symptoms. Would you consider trying cognitive behavioral therapy? I hear it can work well. Exercise and eating well also really helps. Do you drink a lot? That can cause serious anxiety too.

Personally medication is really working well for me.

Archived