I want a better life

mintblossom

I'm feeling down and sad lately. I would like a better life but don't know how to get to where I want to be. I graduated from college in August, and now I'm working in a field I don't like and which is unrelated to my major. I have a long commute each way, spend 8 hours at my job doing repetitive tasks, and go home, unwind, and sleep. On the weekends I do chores or read a book...not much fun. I only have a few friends due to my abused past...and I see a friend every once in a little bit. I don't make much money. Basically, I feel like I'm trapped.

I would like a better job, more friends, better coworkers, more fun, more money, and a better life. Right now, everything's stale and stagnant and I feel sad. Have to go work 8 hours tomorrow at a job I dislike. Sigh. It doesn't help that I fantasize everyone else is having an amazing, fun time and enjoy their jobs.

What to do to change this? I don't know where to start.

I know how you feel mintblossom. What helps me is focusing on myself and what makes me happy. I too, have a job I dislike and feel stuck. Nobody likes their job, at least not many. Try finding something you enjoy doing as a job and make money. Maybe you should think about moving and starting a new life (or lifestyle) somewhere else?

I know how you feel, mintblossom. I'd hit a dead end in where I was going, and need to change direction.

My bud suggested moving straight out accross the country. I don't know. It sounds nice and could be fun, but I also know it won't solve all my problems.

Do you know where it is you want to be headed? That is half the battle, I find. Figuring out exactly what you want.

When you feel like you are in a cul de sac, it can be easy to fall into thinking more about the negatives.

I would like a better life but don't know how to get to where I want to be.
What to do to change this? I don't know where to start
You start where you are; start appreciating small things (this makes things better) and focus on these things. What you pay attention to grows.

You appear to currently be focusing, paying a lot of attention to things you do not appreciate, and so lack of appreciation (making things worse) has grown large.

With best wishes

yeah, everyone feel like you....Even me some times feel I need more and more...You try some other job..Try to feel happy even if you are not satisfied because happy is the thing which comes from our heart and not from more friends or money anything.....Don't lose your confidence always be happy,,,go to some lonely places and have fun...Try to talk with all so that u can get a lot of friends

I would try to count your blessings a bit more. You have a job when many are unemployed, the job is only 8 hours a day and not 10-12 plus (and you don't have to work nights or weekends or get called in at the last minute at night or on a weekend, right?). Can you spend your commute (if it's public transportation) reading or listening to an audiobook?

Have you looked into joining a book group since you already like to read? Taken advantage of free stuff on the weekends - free/inexpensive singles events, museums, discount theater tickets, etc? Can you do volunteer work helping children from dysfunctional families since you may be able to empathize and relate more than the next person?

Back then, did you ever think you would be a college graduate (!) with a job and able to live independently? Wow! Look we're all entitled to little pity parties once in awhile, maybe some of us more than others, but what I found was that the people who did have the most crises/tragedies often were the strongest in refusing to let those tragedies take over their lives and bog them down.

I agree you should be networking/looking for another job, just advising that you remember to count your blessings as much as possible because it seems to me you have many to count.

Have you thought of relocating closer to work? If that's at all possible. That would save on your commute time, if you hate your job so much and can't think of anything you like about it, then it's time to seek out a different job. I do agree with the other posters about being grateful for the good things in your life. You are employed, you do have a job with regular hours so you can enjoy your weekends, you have good friends, you have a college degree, etc., etc. Life won't always be like this, nothing is permanent, change is inevitable.

I was in the same boat you were about a year ago. I was working at some job, stuck behind a desk all day, stuck in an office without a window. I felt so isolated, bored, frustrated, stapling papers all day. I came in to work one day and just decided that I had had enough and I set up a plan to get out of there. And thru a lot of prayer & hard work, I was able to make it out of there and get into a field much more rewarding than where I was.

My advice is simple....

Identify the problem in your life - then tackle it!

Plan things. Failing to plan is planning to fail.

Believe in your abilities, then just go for it- persue your goals. If you do not have any goals then, ask yourself why?

I know it is easier said then done. You can have a better life, you are just preventing yourself from persuing it. And here is the biggest question of them all....

Why do you think your present life is so miserable..!!!!!!

Why is it you cannot enjoy the NOW?

Archived