How to keep semi-sane with a jacked-up family

WomanWriter

I honestly hate my family. My mom is a passive-aggressive witch, my grandmother is a whiny, judgmental hypochondriac that has overpowered me and everyone else all our lives, and my brother and sister are liars and criminals.

I live at home because I lost my job. I can't take it anymore. They are SO demanding and rude, neverending problems (that THEY create themlselves). I'm just so tired of the sickness (mental and physical) in my house everyday (totally preventable).

They are just constantly crushing my spirit. I try to get away and even get crap for that. I haven't learned to do much on my own but am learning everything I can to be independent and they keep squashing me and keeping me down.

My ex was right...I need to get away from these people. All they do is keep me tiny, they try to control my every move, and then they turn around and say I can't do anything. I've done SO much for these jerks who just use me constantly...and I appreciate staying here, but barely anymore...because all they want me here for is to be a slave. They don't care about me finding a job again. They don't care about my mental health. It's all about them.

My grandpa (now dead) owned this house so no one here had to pay a cent of rent on my behalf anyway. My dad has money but he will not lend me money to buy a car until I can at least come up with 5,000 dollars savings (hard to do when I'm on unemployment and using that for my bills...I'm lucky I just paid off my college loan...which I never got help for from my family).

How can I get out of here? I don't have enough money and I don't know what to do. How do I just deal with it the meantime?

I'm not looking for easy answers or judgment like "just move out"...that may be tough right now. How do I JUST DEAL with these people. I've tried talkinig to them, but they're such freaks...they're a lost cause.

Life is so sucky right now...I lose my job, lose my fiance, my family is a bunch of unsupportive creeps who use me (but I don't have anywhere else to live), I still pay whatever else I can...

Ugh

Sounds like you're living with a very dysfunctional bunch. If it were me I'd have as little to do with them as possible. Be civil when you have to communicate and focus on your future. Don't ask them for anything...advice, money,nothing. Just keep reminding yourself that it's temporary. If anyone starts hassling you or giving you a hard time about anything, just smile and walk away. Go to your room (if you have a private one) or go for a walk. Your options are limited right now so the only choices you have are to stick it out for awhile, or maybe try to find a place for rent in a houseshare. Good luck, it sounds like a lousy situation.

Try spending as little time at home as possible..Find interests outside of home..I know how you feel since I am dealing with my adult son that moved back home with his girlfriend and their 2 yr old..All the do is fight and complain..Neither one of them helps with housework or cooking..It drives me crazy..I work full time days and after work I find myself taking lots of walks just to stay out of the house..Walking keeps me out and also helps me deal with things when they have made me angry at something or another..Try it out and see how it works out for you..Let us know...

Archived