Making new friends at college

LightbulbSun

I'm pretty socially isolated at the moment, and since I just started a new college, I don't know anybody there. I'd really like to make some friends.

I'm going to make it a pact to meet at least three new people next week. Even if friendships don't come out of it, I just want to make a connection.

Are you living in the dorms? I know most schools require you to live on campus for at least one year and that's where I met most of my best friends in college.

Find out if there are any clubs you'd like to join, attend campus activities (there's most likely always something happening), sporting events, and maybe even on greek row if you're into partying.

This is super easy in college, esp. if you're taking some entry-level classes. This is because the people that take those kinds of classes are usually freshmen. Freshmen are new to campus so they are more willing and open to meet new people and make new friends than slightly older people. They are also more excited about the experience and more willing to connect (in my experience). So if you sit next to someone and feel like striking up a convo before class, go for it. Never know where it might lead.

Are you living in the dorms? I know most schools require you to live on campus for at least one year and that's where I met most of my best friends in college.

Find out if there are any clubs you'd like to join, attend campus activities (there's most likely always something happening), sporting events, and maybe even on greek row if you're into partying.

No, I'm not. I'm at a small community college at the moment, and driving from home.

The issue with campus activities is that it's summer, and there aren't any going on at the moment. As far as clubs, there was only one that I took an interest in (an environmental club), and I still haven't been accepted. I'm going to stop by the student activities office and see if maybe I can contact the person who's in charge of that club. They might be on summer vacation.

I really don't know much about this college. I'm transferring from a main university, where I did live in the dorms, and made a lot of friends that way. I also took part in some campus activities, and there were a lot more available at that college than here (like about 10 times more activities.)

If you're living in a dorm, just remember to always keep your door open. I mean that literally. I don't know if my university was just overly open and friendly, but that's how I made my first college friends. People would walk right in to see what's going on.

Get involved, and I mean it. Say yes to everything! (except, of course, things you find to be immoral or dangerous). If someone asks you to go eat with them, say yes. If they ask you to go to a play, game, movie, etc...say YES. Atleast in the begginning. I'm not saying you should forever be over-involved ALL the time--along with classes that'd be a bit unrealistic--but you atleast establish a group of friends and can weed out some things that you might not really enjoy. Maybe you'll realize a few new things that you DO enjoy doing that you otherwise would've never tried!

I was completely overwhelmed when I went to college the first time. But I had a lot of great experiences just because I was open to try things and hang out with people I otherwise wouldn't have given the time of day. College is scary at first--I lost my appetite for a week!--but you'll get settled in.

EDIT: Woops, didn't realize you weren't living in a dorm. I can see how it'd be really hard during the summer to make new friends as a commuter, but if there isn't many activities through the college, try taking an interesting class or maybe even seeing if there's activities/groups you can join outside of the college.

Archived