Social Work?

calidreamin0
HOW to STOP MULTITASKING
HOW to STOP MULTITASKING

Does anyone on here have any Social Work experience or is a current Social Worker?

I sort of had an epiphany in the last week and realized I would love to become a Social Worker. I like working with people a lot... and being able to solve problems and a changing working environment sound appealing to me. I know that it can be very disappointing... but I also have heard it can be very rewarding at the same time.

The next Masters program in my area does not begin till next year. So I basically have a year to gather some work experience. My question is what type of work experience would be applicable to becoming a Social Worker? There are a few job open in some local adolescent group homes in the area?

Also- what type of day to day tasks are involved when one is a Licensed Social Worker? To my understanding, you can also be a therapist?

If it's what you want then go for it. I'm not a social worker, but my volunteer work places me in regular contact with them. In this particular field (child protection) the social workers have very high caseloads. They deal with some heartbreaking and sometimes dangerous situations. Some of the social workers seem quite good. Others are simply awful (as you'd expect in any field).

On the other hand I've worked with several social workers in a county program for chemically dependant expectant mothers. Their work while still challenging seems to bring a bit more reward to them personally. They seem happier and not as stressed. And they don't act as jaded as the child protection social workers I have dealt with.

Licensed social workers can indeed be therapists. They aren't quite as high up on the therapist pecking order but it is still available.

You might check out the job descriptions posted for social workers in positions you are interested in. Usually they are in government agencies and so they will post very complete job listings. Many times they post the salary too.

You are Calif, so my thought might not apply. I am not a Social Worker, though considered it and did my research on it. I work in tandem with social workers in my job.

I wouldn't want their jobs for anything! lol. I see so many so severely overworked, and handling so much bureaucracy, simply not for me. The hands-on work that they do is actually considerably lower than I first considered. Tonnes of paperwork, tonnes of meetings, tonnes of managing tasks.

If that is up your alley though, I'd suggest spending some time meeting with and getting a good idea of what the various positions are like on a day to day basis, considering what branch you would want to work in (so you can make contacts and be involved even as you go to school).

Where I am, social workers do very little in the way of therapy. Very little. There is a recurrent joke though that many social workers are wanna-be therapists that didn't make it. Hey, it's a joke!

They are mostly shuffling paperwork and spending a lot of time in meetings, as I mentioned.

Where you get work experience is also going to depend a lot on what you are particularly interested in, or what is available (once you are done school).

A lot of the social workers I am in contact with also spend some time in the court rooms.

Archived