No organization will allow me to adopt!

cichlid

Cons

- I work 8-10 hours, five days a week like any normal person

- I live in an apartment

Pros

- I live 5 minutes away from where I work and I can go home for lunch

- I can afford a dog financially...easily!

- I live 1 mile away from a large regional park which may have a dog park

- I was raised with dogs and I successfully trained a stubborn dog in obedience and agility

I've contacted a few organizations and all have told me the same thing...they won't adopt to me because of the two cons. I'm starting to think most of them have no grip on reality.

Why do I want a dog? I'm not 100% sure. I want the companionship that comes with owning a dog.

Oh, I was also told that I would make a horrible dog owner since I have a career!

I'm sure any dog would be happy to have you as a owner. You might leave him at home for a long time and he'd be bored, but it's still better than being homeless or being in a shelter. And if you can afford, you can take a playmate for him or use doggie daycare. Maybe you're boss even allows you to take him to work (like mine

If some agencies are too rigid, try local shelters, local newspapers and if in U.S craigslist. Or talk to the agencies and offer to use doggie daycare etc.

I adopted a little Maltese 4 months ago and honestly.. one of the best decision of my life. He gives me so much joy!!!

Good luck!

I want a dog...something about 4-6 years old. Something small...prefer a mutt.

I have a pound. Do you think they are more willing to adopt to most families? I just think the organizations are wanting more than just good homes.

annalisa84, I work in a manufacturing plant. And with as much as I am at my desk, the dog may be more comfortable at home. LOL!

I will get a shelter dog then. But not until my lease is up... $1000 pet deposit that I won't see ever again! My apartment has a reputation for keeping every deposit. Ha! I'm going to look for a place with a yard. A co-worker lives in a nice area which is larger and cheaper than my apartment. I would also be closer to work and live right accross the street from the regional park. This park is HUGE! It has 2-3 softball fields, plenty of walking trails to explore, a disc golf course and several large open areas. I think there might be a fenced area for dogs but I can't remember.

Thanks for all your advice. I was thinking maybe I would be a bad dog owner.

You know what, I gave up on adopting a long time ago. I honestly have something against "adoption centers" that are run by small groups. They complain and complain that there's soooo many unadopted animals, but when someone comes to adopt, they turn them down due to reasons THEY think are good for the dog. (Like yours for instance.)

I once called a small adoption center once and the lady asked me a few questions. Her last question was who is the cat for? I said my family. She said who's in your family? I said myself, my (then) husband, and my two children. She said how old are your children? I said 7 and 4. She said this -- "Cats aren't toys and they're not for small children. Buy your children a video game instead." AND HUNG UP ON ME! That @#$@&!!! I was LIVID. So SHE thinks cats aren't for families with small children so she's keeping that cat unadopted? That poor cat would have had a great home with us but because of HER criteria, that cat was probably unadopted for a long time, just like MOST animals in shelters! I hate adoption centers. They push people to buy from breeders because of all their tight judgmental criteria... It's THEIR fault there are so many unadopted animals...

Oh, I was just told by an organization that not only do I work too much (45 hours on average each week is carrying too many hours?) and live in an apartment, but that I am not a stable household because I am not married!

Why does my relationship status matter? I actually replied back to the woman and told her that being unmarried shouldn't affect whether or not I would be a good pet owner. Her reasoning is because I am not tied down by a family...

I live in a SMALL TOWN in the middle of NOWHERE! LOL!

...anyway, she would probably would tell people who had a family that the children would be a problem. Picky picky...

I'm all about rescuing. But some rescues are so ridiculous. I say go to a shelter. Rescues get so effing picky about who they adopt to. In their lengthy ridiculous process, hundreds of animals are being put down in shelters while they have to come and examine your house, check out the type of carpet you have, look around your fence in your back yard, etc. Too picky. Definitely go to a shelter if you can.

Even my local animal shelter wants a lot from the people who want to adopt an animal. I get turned down because I live in an apartment. Go figure. I mean, I want to adopt a cat, not a dog! I have two cats and my vet says I am a very responsible pet owner, but the shelter has a problem with me living in an apartment. So, I'm just sticking with my two babies.

Even my local animal shelter wants a lot from the people who want to adopt an animal. I get turned down because I live in an apartment. Go figure. I mean, I want to adopt a cat, not a dog! I have two cats and my vet says I am a very responsible pet owner, but the shelter has a problem with me living in an apartment. So, I'm just sticking with my two babies.

And that really sucks because not everyone has the luxury of living in a house. Furthermore, what should it matter? I would rather a kitty be in an apartment and loved than facing the death chamber.

I have an apartment and my cat is perfectly happy there. My lease will allow me to adopt another one, but many shelters think my 550 square foot apartment is too small for two cats. Really all my one cat does is sleep and lounge and she's got plenty of room for that! Certainly a better environment than a tiny cage.

adoption shelters these days have alot of restrictions.

they told me i couldnt adopt a dog either because my whole yard wasnt fenced in.

so i just went to a private rescue and got one.

better than an animal being homeless.

the shelters just want to make sure the pets are going to the best best best homes possible. i get that, but i still think its way too strict.

Those types of organizations disgust me.

Those people forget how many people live in a house with a fenced yard and leave their dog out in the yard without exercise and socialization. it's ridiculous to assume that a person living in an appartment or being gone for a normal workday of 8 or 9 hours cannot be a responsible caring dog owner.

AND you told them you work 5 minutes away and can come home for lunch!

My dog stays 8 or 9 hours alone and she is fine. She goes out about 45 minutes in the morning for a long walk / run and then minimum one hour once I return for work.

I you adopt a puppy it's a different story because they cannot control their bladder and sphincter muscles when very young. There are management startegies you can use to allow them to relaive themselves as they are being potty trained and mature. You can also hire a dog walker to come in for pee breaks while you're at work.

Don't give up, you'll fnd a rescue that will let you adopt. Plenty of dogs live happy healthy lives under your conditions.

I am involved in rescue and while we do have restrictions, we apply them on a case by case basis. As long as your apartment complex allows animals and you can prove you have paid any required pet deposit, that's fine. We only require someone to be home, or able to come home for lunch, when adopting out puppies because young puppies can't be left all day without a potty break. We adopt to single working people and people in apartments all the time! So please don't give up on rescues, they aren't all that inflexible. Usually, county animal shelters will adopt to anyone as long as you pay the fee and those dogs are in more desperate need than a dog in a rescue. The only drawback is that they aren't temperament tested and you don't know what you're getting. But there are things you can do to test the dog yourself in that situation. If you want to know how, just ask and good luck! Thank you for rescuing!

get a shelter dog if you're abolsutely sure you want one (big commitment) and if worse comes to worst and they wont adopt to you because of those 2 cons.... lie.

I'd never advocate lieing as a viable alternative except when its pure beaurocratic BS - if you want a dog and you feel you can look after a dog, you should be allowed a dog.

How To Budget For Your Pet
How To Budget For Your Pet

Archived