Lady at work lying to try and get me fired!! Completely out of hand.

I have been working graveyard at an old folks home for 5 months. So mainly my job is to clean. But other then that i don't have much to do..

Since day ONE the daytime lady (Pat is her name) who relieves me has had a problem with me. She has been working here longer then most people and used to be a nurse. She accuses me of not doing my cleaning duties, such as moping the floors and doing other cleaning... which i DO EVERY NIGHT! However, she never tells me to my face that I don't do my work, she goes right to the manager to try and get my fired.

I hear about the complaints through my supervisor who has to deal with the drama. My supervisor really doesn't know what goes on so she doesn't take anyones side. But my supervisor DOES tell me about the complaints to try and make them better. However there is nothing to improve on my behalf because i do ALL my work.

Moping floors isnt the only thing she has accused me of. The other day she came into work and said it smelt like booze and that I had been drinking on the job. I'm not sure if she went to the manager about it but I wouldn't be surprised.

The thing is that everything Pat complains about she KNOWS that I actaully do the work. Sometimes I will find weird marks on teh walls in really strange places, which I'm sure she puts there on purpose to try and catch me for not cleaning it up.

I feel like I am at a loss because I have no experience working with elderly people as I am only 20 years old. This lady has a lot more experience then me and she often tries to intimidate me. I work alone at night, and since she works during the day she has a lot of time to talk about me with other co-workers.

I left a message with my manager saying that I feel as though I am being very disrespected. I just don't understand how I am going to defend myself... It just seems SO far fetched that this lady would go so far out of their way to try and get someone in trouble.

I think talking to your manager about it before it goes any further would be the first step. You said you left a message, but have you arranged to sit down and talk one-on-one with the manager about the issue?

As long as you're constantly keeping communication open about this, your manager would have nothing to go off of as far as reprimanding you for anything. The daytime lady can't actually prove you're not doing your work--especially when you ARE doing it. So just make sure and keep constant communication with your manager.

I'm 20yrs old and also i'm a janitor, my folk own the company and after about 9yrs i finally made manager. I deal with workers who are in the same problem as you, and other complaints.

We have one workers with 35+ years of experince and he is causing the most problems at the work place, getting the job done to fast, isnt a team player and complains about everyone...I had a worker lose it on me cause of him.

So my advice to you is to go to talk to the manager tell he/she to one night come and check up on your work and hers that way they can see first hand goes doing there job right. Also the fact that a co-worker or whatever is complaning non-stop about another worker shows that they themselfs arent doing the job right.

Do you also work with any other people ? if so talk to them and see if she has been complaning about them, that could be another red-flag.

Also are there nights were she works on her own ? once again if so you should get the manager to do a random check-up when shes on her own that way they can see for themselfs.

Keep your work up, check all corners and edges, and do the little details people might not notice it but other nurses, people working there and even your manager will most likely notice it in the long run. Goodluck.

I agree that you need to talk to the manager. I'd put it like this to the manager: "It seems like there has been a misunderstanding with this other employee. I take this job seriously and I would never want you to think that I am not doing what you asked of me. Please tell me what steps I can take to make sure that this employee's personal issue with me doesn't interfere with our ability to do our work." I would also offer to change to the daytime shift where other people can be around to see how you do your work. Even if they don't want to actually switch your shift, at least the fact that you offered to change shifts will show people that you are not trying to goof off just because nobody else is around at night.

It is kind of weird that this lady has such a problem with you when you didn't do anythign to her. Maybe she just resents you for being younger than her or something. Weirdo.

Archived