infection may be back, and i'm so afraid to tell the bf

pinkrobot

Okay, story is: I got a yeast infection a couple of weeks ago. Told my boyfriend, we refrained from sex, and I treated it with OTC medicine. It went away for a day...then, the darn thing came back. So I went to the doctor, got a prescription, and took that...gave it 3-4 days to work, but the infection only got worse. SO, went to a different doctor and got a different prescription, but never started it because my symptoms magically went away about 4 days ago.

So now on to the real thing that's bothering me. I think my symptoms are coming back. It just appears to be a really stubborn infection. The thing is, I'm really scared to tell my boyfriend that it's probably back. I have to tell him, because it means we can't have sex. And I'm not worried that'll bother him, but what worries me is I'm afraid he'll think I'm really gross. I mean, women get yeast infections, it's inevitable for some of us...it's just that this one is needing some powerful meds to go away. I'm terrified to tell him, I don't want him to sit there and think, "God, my girlfriend is disgusting!" I can't really help it, and I'm doing all I can to get rid of it...

Guys, I realize it's not sexy at all if your gf tells you she has a yeast infection or something of the like...but am I overreacting in thinking he's going to be repulsed when I tell him it's back? Ugh, I hate this.

but am I overreacting in thinking he's going to be repulsed when I tell him it's back? Ugh, I hate this.

Only 12 year olds and 12 year olds running around in adult bodies think this sort of thing. Your boyfriend should be chiefly concerned about your health. To be repulsed by someone having an infection is to be very childish. On top of that, I would say you know the truth about yourself - you know you aren't 'gross' and you should stand by that. Let people think what they want; you have no real control over that anyway.

What 'TheSmilingTurnip' said.

If it was some harsh kind of STD/STI then sure he might be freaked out. But it's a yeast infection. Many of us get them, and as far as I'm aware, you can't transmit them. They occur when you take antibiotics, or during periods of stress.

If the docs have confirmed that is all they are, then I wouldn't worry. If you are really unsure, get down to a sexual health clinic (free in many countries) and get a full going over.

If the docs have confirmed that is all they are, then I wouldn't worry. If you are really unsure, get down to a sexual health clinic (free in many countries) and get a full going over.

Yeah, I've had plenty of them in my life and I have been to the gyno for confirmation. When I first told my bf, and then also when it came back, he didn't appear disgusted in any way...I guess I'm just stuck in the mindset that guys are crazy about sex and they'd be completely grossed out knowing their girlfriend had a stubborn infection in that very region of her body. Thanks for the responses so far, though, giving me a little peace of mind...

Myself and an ex girlfriend have both had a yeast infection at the same time, but that didn't stop us from having sex, we just made sure we had both used the OTC cream before we did.

If he is repulsed by it (which by the sounds of it, he's not) then I don't think you have anything to worry about. If he is, then perhaps he's not right for you.

Okay, story is: I got a yeast infection a couple of weeks ago. Told my boyfriend, we refrained from sex, and I treated it with OTC medicine. It went away for a day...then, the darn thing came back. So I went to the doctor, got a prescription, and took that...gave it 3-4 days to work, but the infection only got worse. SO, went to a different doctor and got a different prescription, but never started it because my symptoms magically went away about 4 days ago.

So now on to the real thing that's bothering me. I think my symptoms are coming back.

So your infection comes and goes, and prescription meds for yeast infections don't seem to have any effect.

How did your gyno diagnose it? With a test? Or just visual examination?

So your infection comes and goes, and prescription meds for yeast infections don't seem to have any effect.

How did your gyno diagnose it? With a test? Or just visual examination?

The meds/prescription work, but only temporarily...it's because they haven't been strong enough to fight it off completely. That's actually not that uncommon with yeast infections (not for women, at least, not sure about men).

The gyno did a culture under a microscope to diagnose it, so yes we're sure that's what it is.

The gyno did a culture under a microscope to diagnose it, so yes we're sure that's what it is.

I'd just tell him. Chicks get yeast infections. In other breaking news, the sun will rise in the east tomorrow.

Generally speaking, guys don't know a ton about yeast infections, so a little education goes a long way, so maybe print out some stuff for him to read.

If it's yeast, he can give it back to you. He need not have symptoms to still get it from you, and give it back to you, this is often how people have continuous yeast-infections: their PARTNER needs to be treated too!

Generally speaking, guys don't know a ton about yeast infections, so a little education goes a long way, so maybe print out some stuff for him to read.

He claims he doesn't know much about them, although he has had one in the past. I just know quite a few men who hear the words "yeast infection" and assume the girl is disgusting and diseased...which is where my fear stems from.

If it's yeast, he can give it back to you. He need not have symptoms to still get it from you, and give it back to you, this is often how people have continuous yeast-infections: their PARTNER needs to be treated too!

We use condoms. Every time. And we've refrained from sex as long as I've had it anyway. So passing it back and forth shouldn't be incredibly possible.

if i was your b/f I would support you and try to find a solution,relationship is about been understanding and supportive when things go wrong.you should feel comfortable telling your b/f about this not weird if he loves u he will be cool about it. I would

Again, thanks for the input you've all given me.

Upon thinking about this further, I think I'm turning paranoid after some of the things I've read on ENA...I don't want to pick on anyone (don't even remember who it was anyway) but there was a thread recently about a guy whose gf had a terrible odor down there, and it was just pages and pages of people responding about how disgusting it was...so now I'm sitting here thinking about how easily a girl can become "gross" because of a problem in that area...

You have no choice but to tell him that it's back - he has a right to know. Also, not sure if any doctor told you this, but your partner should be treated at the same time as you are. it is VITAL that BOTH of you get treated, as it gets passed back and forth - hence you keep getting infections. Condoms or not, both of you should be treated, one way or the other.

Just to be clear, this wasn't a question about whether or not I should tell him--I am going to tell him, of course. I was simply just looking for feedback about whether guys would be repulsed by hearing their gf had an infection that was taking extra effort to clear up.

Just to be clear, this wasn't a question about whether or not I should tell him--I am going to tell him, of course. I was simply just looking for feedback about whether guys would be repulsed by hearing their gf had an infection that was taking extra effort to clear up.

I mean, infections are gross. But really, it is part of life. I don't see why he would care as you are taking the proper precautions and treating it. This kind of stuff happens and if he is any sort of reasonable individual, he will not care.

I mean, people look "gross" when they got a bad flu with snot running down their nose and puffy eyes, and maybe you don't make out with them for a few days, but it doesn't effect the relationship at all.

I doubt he would be repulsed, like many of the people have already said in this thread, if I was your boyfriend I would be concerned with your health and be happy you let me know. No big deal. It actually struck me as odd that you were even worried about it.

We use condoms. Every time. And we've refrained from sex as long as I've had it anyway. So passing it back and forth shouldn't be incredibly possible.

Although that at least helps, the condom doesn't cover all the area that is in contact. I think if you want to be sure, he still needs to be treated. I've had recurrent yeast infections, and honestly I never had a problem in sharing with my partner. It's in his and your interest to know what is going on. I know it's not exactly the same as having a running nose because it's about sex, but if you stay together you will most likely have to see MUCH worse things happening than a yeast infection.

Myself and an ex girlfriend have both had a yeast infection at the same time, but that didn't stop us from having sex, we just made sure we had both used the OTC cream before we did.

For many women, sex is absolutely excruciating with a yeast infection.

Archived