romance! what are your thoughts?

mr.mac

I've been conducting a very scientific poll between me and, well, me. I'm curious about what the women out there find romantic. What you all would like more of, what you already like, things you miss, stuff like that.

Also, guys please feel free to add what you do for your girls.

Share any details/stories!

For me, its the little things. A morning wake up call always kick starts my day. (even if it comes at 5am). A text letting me know that he is thinking of me, or reminding me that he cant wait to see me, just the little things that reminds me that I have someone out there who loves me.

I have never been a big roses and chocolates sort of person. I am much more lillies and wildflowers and grape licorace. I would much rather have someone remember those little things about me on a random Tuesday than have them remember the traditional mush on Valentines Day. To me its more honest.

Small, consistent actions/words that remind me that I'm loved. Key words being ''small'' and ''consistent''!

Eg: a text a couple of times a week saying something really sweet, a big meaningful kiss out of nowhere, a tiny random present once a month, lots of cuddling...stuff like that (which I've never had in a relationship, actually) means a lot more to me than a bi-annual show of huge mush and gush.

Small, consistent actions/words that remind me that I'm loved. Key words being ''small'' and ''consistent''!

Eg: a text a couple of times a week saying something really sweet, a big meaningful kiss out of nowhere, a tiny random present once a month, lots of cuddling...stuff like that (which I've never had in a relationship, actually) means a lot more to me than a bi-annual show of huge mush and gush.

Spot on!

I once had a male guy friend who I later dated get me a teddy bear for my birthday. He knew I collected them. (I was about 13 or so.) I loved it. Not because it was a teddy bear per se, but because he went and picked it out. He then decided it needed a jaunty little little hat, so he sewed one on!

16 years later, I still have the bear.

Spot on!

I once had a male guy friend who I later dated get me a teddy bear for my birthday. He knew I collected them. (I was about 13 or so.) I loved it. Not because it was a teddy bear per se, but because he went and picked it out. He then decided it needed a jaunty little little hat, so he sewed one on!

16 years later, I still have the bear.

That's stupidly adorable! And exactly what I was hoping to hear. Keep 'em coming!

Little gestures that show he really knows me. A bouquet of roses, while lovely, wouldn't be nearly as romantic and touching to me as a bunch of sunflowers (my favorite flower) or a new book by my favorite author.

Also, while not all women like them, I find little surprises very romantic. A gift on my birthday or our anniversary or Valentine's Day is nice, but to be surprised with a sweet note or a little gift on my pillow on just any old day...that's really special.

Remembering the little courtesies is romantic, and so is mentioning the things that are unique and special about her. Thanking her if she cooks a nice dinner for you, and then offering to do the clean-up afterwards while she gets to relax. Noticing and commenting on things you love about her or things she's just good at, e.g., "You've done such a nice job of decorating this room. It really expresses your personality." or "It's so special how you're always there for your friends when they're down. You always seem to know the right thing to say."

Taking the time to plan a special night out or weekend together is romantic. Even more romantic if you do it in response to something going on in her life, because it shows that you're really paying attention. "I know you've been really stressed out with that big project at work. You've had to put so much energy into it. How about when it wraps up we go away for a weekend to celebrate and recharge your battery?" or "I know you've missed So-and-So since she moved away. How about we plan a little vacation in her area so we can have a getaway together and you can have a chance to catch up with her again?"

What I find romantic is the cliche stuff, every once in a while coming to my door with roses would be fun. But ideally and in actuality it's when he remembers stuff that I remember, Our first date, our anniversary, our conversations.

I like gifts, of course, but they're not needed.

One of the most amazing things my boyfriend has down for me wasn't when he got me and expensive necklace, it was when he gave me his old beaten up medical ID bracelet. It's the first thing he ever gave me and I cherish it.

For Valentine's Day this year my boyfriend and I had been fighting for a while so I wasn't expecting anything to happen. He came and picked me up in the morning with a white rose chocolate and drove me to his house where he/we made breakfast. He took me upstairs and we laid on his bed then he told me to close my eyes and he placed a red floppy teddy bear in my arms. The story behind this is I have always wanted a red bear, i call my bf ty-bear and i saw this bear and told him about it and he went and got it that day.

It was so romantic and wonderful and I will never forget these things.

When you are going out somewhere special and have spent a lot of time and effort in looking good and when you walk in the room, their mouth falls open and they say "Wow, you look fantastic!!. Makes your heart skip a beat and gives you a huge inner smile which stays with you the whole night.

Love the old fashioned bath, lights out and scented oil and candles, glass of wine, good music and a good man opposite you, too.

I also like the little things to let me know that he's thinking about me. The most romantic thing that anyone's done for me is a few years ago I was working a job that I hated and I had to pull a 12 hour shift on a Saturday. Well my boyfriend at that time was going to a birthday party for his cousin that was over an hour from my work, and I was so bummed I couldn't go. I got an hour lunch break and my boyfriend left the party drove over an hour to my work with lunch and also bought me a new cd I wanted so I could listen to it the rest of the day. Just knowing that someone cared enough about me to do all that meant more than all the roses and chocolates in the world.

Romance is all about the little things.

Like the fact that my boyfriend actually made and brought us sandwiches for lunch when we went to the zoo. And the fact that he knew exactly what type of jelly I like. And the fact that he ran out of bread, and used the end piece that no one likes, so, he made sure that I ate the "good" sandwich and he ate the one with the end.

Or the fact that he planned my birthday about 5 months in advance and bought all his presents for me long before my birthday.

The fact that he'll be in the middle of a game on his computer, but is more than willing to let me start playing a game on it and will quit out of his stuff.

The little things really do count.

Archived