New dog SO demanding

cornflake

I rescued a wonderful beagle mix from the local shelter about a week ago--she's about a year old and generally very sweet.

There are ups and downs to her age. She's already housetrained and can be left alone in the apartment without destroying anything or peeing/pooping. The downside is that she's pretty stubborn and seems to have it set in her head that she owns me, and not the other way around.

She is constantly seeking affection and will be forceful about receiving it. She'll lean her whole body against me and nudge my hands/arms repeatedly with her nose. It's adorable, but I've been recently attempting to show her that I can't drop everything to please her. I can't be late for work because she needs some attention. When I don't give her immediate attention, she gets irritable and will bark at me nonstop until I touch her.

She also absolutely REFUSES to go anywhere near her crate. I've spent hours trying to coerce her with words and treats and toys and she looks at me like I'm crazy and will walk away. Luckily, since she's not destructive when I'm away (knock on wood), crate-training might not be entirely necessary, but I would still like her to sleep somewhere other than my bed. I love having her in my bed, but I need to establish somehow that I'm in charge.

I read that beagles are stubborn and very difficult to train and I'm definitely starting to believe it! Does anybody have any advice??

Our dog is part beagle and does the same thing, except for the barking. He'll just hop into your arms (whether you are ready for him or not) or onto your lap whenever he feels like it. We used to think it was cute but now we don't allow him to. If he hops into our arms we don't catch him or put him down with a firm "no". If he hops into our laps we shove him off (and then shove him off the other end of the couch he hops onto afterwards).

The problem is not everyone in our family is consistant with this. Some people are firm and some people are not. So it's still a problem but he's learning that with certain people at least he can't walk all over them.

Not sure about the barking thing though...hard to stop that without a bark collar. Hopefully others have suggestions on that.

Maybe instead of a crate you can invest in a soft doggy bed? Then she'll have a spot on the floor in your room (or another room if you prefer) that's soft but not confining like a crate can be. Just be firm and don't let her on your bed. You can snuggle with her later when she's learned some manners but for now I wouldn't let her on the bed period.

Victoria Stillwell (from "It's Me or the Dog") says be consistent and just keep moving them. So if they jump in your bed and you dont want them there, you get up and physically move them to their bed and say something like "good night" or "bed". Keep doing that till they realize your bed is yours, theirs is theirs. Same with affection. If the dog jumps on the couch to be near you, move the dog down and say "floor" or whatever you want the dog to learn. Be consistent.

Thank you for rescuing!

Have you been able to train her to 'sit' on command?

She already knew how to sit on command, actually. The shelter said she was brought in as a stray but it seems like she's been in a household before. Ironically, when she's barking at me, she will normally sit pretty while she's doing it.

She already knew how to sit on command, actually. The shelter said she was brought in as a stray but it seems like she's been in a household before. Ironically, when she's barking at me, she will normally sit pretty while she's doing it.
Well, that means that she can accept commands. Now you have to reach her "No!"

maybe a crate was used as punishment in her previous home and that's why she doesn't like it?

I figured that either that was the case or that it reminded her of her cage at the shelter. Either way, she's not even open to the idea of going into it. Waste of $90?

And regarding your advice, I try to consistently remove her from bed, but when it's 2 AM and I have to be up at 6, I tend to give up. I'm looking into hiring a trainer as well. It's just second on my list after getting her to her first vet appointment.

I actually very much welcome the idea of her sharing my bed, but I've read and been told that that should be something that she should earn rather than something she's simply allowed to do. I'm thinking that once she stops being so demanding, I can invite her into my bed as a reward. I really don't mind her being there at all, I just don't want her to get the idea that she can walk all over me.

do certain things like make it appear you're eating first (like make it look like you eat out of her bowl while standing over her with it before you give it to her). the pack leader always eats first.

Learn English Via Listening | Begin...
Learn English Via Listening | Beginner Level | Lesson 6 | My First Pet

Archived