i need music to get me through this

Not so 2009, but try Good Luck by Basement Jaxx - is very good for the girl power. If you want just something angry - Shouty Track by LemonJelly. I find this to be a very good song when I'm walking somewhere and I'm NOT happy.

Mary J Blige...love her. Her lyrics are so encouraging (her new stuff) Whenever I am going thru men probs (every other wk) I listen to #12 on her newest CD.

I also like Sade and Alice in Chains- Nutshell.

Ooh thought of another couple. The titles will make them look a lot more horrible than they are - give them a go though. They're both by Kate Nash, one is called *fourletterwordforpoo* song and the other is called *fourletterwordforpenisbeginningwithD* head. I'm sure you can figure out the words missing! She generally is very good, I'd recommend her no matter what.

This song speaks the world to me:

See today I'm having one of them days where

I just don't want to be bothered,

but it seems like you can't understand that because it's your way or no way,

but check this out

And I'm really, really sick and tired of you steppin' into my little box

When I just don't want to be bothered okay, so check this out.

[Verse 1

I've had my ways, and I've had my share of ups and downs.

I been in trouble, and I couldn't tell my ups from downs

I been your baby, and I don't know why you don't seem like that no more

welcome to the new definition of love.

[Chorus

It ain't all roses hey,

flowers imposing hey

said it ain't all candy hey

this love stuff is demanding hey

Sometimes I need a hug [2x]

[Talk

See you just really wanna push all my buttons

Cause you Mr. Right & I'm Mrs. Wrong,

But right now today,

I'm going to be the one to sing this song

I'm going be Mrs. Right today it's my way, or the highway

With you there's just no getting around that I got to be bumping heads with you

What's up with that?

Listen see

[Verse 2

I love my man, and I know my place I know my worth

I just can't stand

to see myself as I hurt

it's been along time, and I think that I can get a little more love from you

I know some of yall go through it too cause

[Chorus (2x)

[Talk

Sometimes I just wish you would just put your arms around me

When I'm feeling so [4x] very needy

But instead you just turn your back and say "suck it up"

oh you don't know how I feel right now

If you knew how I'm feeling on the inside you wouldn't say "suck it up"

Now what tha' cause

[Chorus (2x)]

[bridge

It' aint' all roses you know,

Everybody ask me how good it is?

It's great love is great

When you just a mess yourself, it ain't gone be all roses.

Cause you just want your time

You wanna be selfish

You know you don't want nobody messing with you

You just want to rip somebodies head off when they try to step to you with some "Oh! You need

some help, Oh! You need to figure it out" You figure it out [2x] You go figure It out, you suck

it up [laugh chuckle]

It's definitely not from '09 and I'm unaware whether or not it qualifies under the "girl power" category, but a truly classic album in my book from a female band is called "Fever In Fever Out" by Luscious Jackson. It's simply a brilliant piece of work with beautiful, big, heavy basslines. Some excellent melodies as well. There's a song on there in particular called "Mood Swing" which I believe may or may not refer to the subject matter your looking for. At any rate, it's a can't miss album as far as I'm concerned. Highly recommended.

i love this song ..but it brings up to many memories..because when i was mad at him (for the usual couple stuff) i would blast this song and we would then laugh at the part where she says "you suck it up! you figure it out"

so that ones a no go for me.

in fact even though i love mary j right now none of her stuff is going to work for me.

i need like... you were a liar cheat pathetic fool for losing the awesomeness that was me and you'll never amount to anything because you have a small pee pee and you stink in bed" kind of song.

anything like that out there?

^^ well sounds like you can make your own song. lol Yea, I cant listen to that song anymore either. I also blast it when Im upset so when I play it...I get upset again. Funny how that works.

Do you like Sade? Jazz? Nina Simone always works for me when Im down. But you have to be careful, too much Nina might drive you to shoot yourself (not literally). Pink seems girl powerish...I wish I had my iPod. I have a whole bunch of girl power songs but Im bad at remembering names.

i need like... you were a liar cheat pathetic fool for losing the awesomeness that was me and you'll never amount to anything because you have a small pee pee and you stink in bed" kind of song.

Oh, ok, so what I recommended probably isn't quite what you're looking for at the moment. Keep it on your list for future reference when you're in another frame of mind which shouldn't be long when you've got music for therapy!

Then "Window" by Fiona Apple on that album is very fitting!!

I guess it depends on what you want to get out of the songs.

I listened to country music for a few days after but it was way to close for my liking at the time.

I ended up going back to the classic rock form my youth. It brought back good memories of being free and no responsablities. Runnining around with my buddies and just having fun.

Find something that takes you back to a time you really enjoyed.

Lost

Is Fiona still making music? I havent heard anything new in yrs. Sorry if this is off topic.

i dont know if she is or not...extraordinary machine is from maybe 4 years ago (or so?) and it helped me through a bad breakup.

I agree about Fiona Apple. I also love her "When the Pawn..." album. There's some good "screw you!" type of stuff on there, like "Get Gone."

A few others:

"You Had Me" by Joss Stone

"Tears Dry on Their Own" by Amy Winehouse (yeah, she's a wreck, but she has some great songs)

"Hot and Cold" by Katy Perry

Almost anything by Sia Furler, but I particularly like "Death by Chocolate" and "Girl That You Lost to Cocaine" (technically about losing someone to a drug problem, but a good "good riddance" song nevertheless.)

"Smile" by Lily Allen

"Call Me When You're Sober" by Evanescence (again, related to the ex having a drug problem, but the sentiment is still quite appropriate)

"Better In Time" by Fiona Lewis

"So What?" by Pink (really overplayed, but I love her, and the song makes me LMAO!)

My favorite all-time break-up type song, though, is Fleming and John's "Ugly Girl." I think I've posted about it before. It's a bit mean-spirited (the premise is that the singer runs into her ex with his new girlfriend at the grocery store and can't believe how ugly the new girlfriend is), and normally I'm a lot nicer, but...the song is hilarious, and the singer sings it in such a sweet, girlish voice that just adds to the song's appeal. I tried to find it on YouTube but couldn't find a decent video of it at all. Fun stuff, though.

Well this isn't for breakups cause if I listen to that I will wreck my car from not being able to see through the tears. So with that being said here are a few songs that just get you moving and feeling good:

Quiet Dog - by Mos Def

Miss Independent - by Neyo

I feel for you - Chaka Khan

Live your life - T.I.

Walking on broken glass - Annie Lennox

everybody wants to rule the world - Tears for Fears

Good stuff

no tears

Archived