anyone knows where in the cycle the fertile/riskful days are in case cyclus is longer than 4 weeks ?

Belgian girl

OMG... i just wrote the longest msg and it didnt send! ARGH!

Anyway.. um, I use the rhythm method, because the pill makes me turn into a crazy psycho (literally) who needs to throw up 5 times a day.. usually after I drink something with milk in it (and I have a MASSIVE tea addiction.)

I've been using it for years and never gotten pregnant, but I wouldn't really reccommend it as a method to anyone else, because its still a relief every time I get my period.. but my cycle is extremely regular, 35 days, (alot longer than the usual 28) and I can tell when im ovulating because theres about two days around the middle of my period (day 20) where I get really wet down there (sometimes to a point where you can see the discharge on your undies, sorry if thats TMI), my boyfriend says I smell really good, I get really REALLY horny... and its the two days of your cycle that you can get preggers so you cant have sex!!! haha bit of a downside isnt it.

I've heard sperm can live inside you for up to a couple of days, so to be sure I dont have sex for the whole ovulation week.

I studied my period like some OCD kid for months before this though.. bought a calendar, wrote down every day I got my period and felt horny and had discharge and etc and researched it all on the net. It is different for everyone, thats why you've got to find out when YOU are ovulating.

You can actually buy kits that tell you when you are ovulating (they're for women who want to get pregnant though).. I saw them near the pregnancy tests in a chemist.

It works for me, and it was reccommended to me by a friends mum actually who used it her entire sex life (and then planned 3 kids and got pregnant straight away). But, due to everyone being so different, I wouldn't reccommend it incase someone else in a worse off situation than me got pregnant. But, if you are going to do it, research it all up on the internet. Dont trust the "day 14" rule, look up on google how to find out when you're ovulating (you're going to find lots of posts from women who are TRYING to get pregnant btw), research it, get a calendar and write it all down. I honestly wish I could just take a pill each day and not worry about it!

Timing methods are very risky indeed. While they work for some, for many others they're a route to unplanned pregnancy.

You have the 14 day rule inverted. You generally get your period 14 days after ovulation. Which means, among other things, that it's possible to get pregnant while you still have your period, if your cycle is short or irregular. It also means the onset of your period isn't a useful method of predicting ovulation unless your cycle is very regular.

The two methods used to predict ovulation are basal temperature charts and cervical mucus. If you're really dead set on going this way, search for "natural family planning."

If the pill and condoms are out, you might consider methods like the diaphragm.

My cycle is also longer then 28 days and is irregular. I get my period around every 5-6 weeks.

I was under the impression (but not 100% sure) that ovulation occurs 2 weeks before the period.

Condoms can be a bit annoying but I'd rather be protected from pregnancy.

I also check to see the mucus consitency.

the chance of pregnancy is what turns you on??

One of the main things that turn me on, yes. And having one of the people I love very near is. And then things like being able to relax and the sharing with someone I love and the fact of feeling connected in this world that makes me want to run out of reality.

One of the main things that turn me on, yes. And having one of the people I love very near is. And then things like being able to relax and the sharing with someone I love and the fact of feeling connected in this world that makes me want to run out of reality.

awkwardddddddd.

awkwardddddddd.

I can understand it, actually, though taking real risk rather than, say, fantasizing about it is going a bit far.

What does mucus consitency means.

As I said before, searching for "Natural Family Planning" will give you much more in-depth information. But since you ask:

link removed[/i]]In this method, the days just before and just after ovulation are determined by checking the woman's cervical mucus. When a woman is most likely to become pregnant, the cervical mucus is stretchy, clear and slick. The mucus during this time looks and feels much like an uncooked egg white.

However, I think it's a very bad idea just to take a few instructions from a message board and gamble your future on them. Get the full, real information from a doctor, or at least read a book on the subject.

I can understand it, actually, though taking real risk rather than, say, fantasizing about it is going a bit far.

That´s not the reason for me. It´s just such a beautiful thought giving life a chance when it´s with the person I love.

Yes, it is but you need to focus on the realities of what is in the best interests of the baby, not about abstract ideas about giving life - and when it comes to the best interests of the child, I think there's a moral obligation to focus first on the realities, practicalities and logistics ranging from whether you can give the child a stable, two parent family, to the finances, your physical and emotional health, who is going to raise the child on a daily basis even if there are two parents (maybe both need to work), etc etc. Your post is all about you -- your desire to give life, your desire that it be with someone you love - none of it even touches on the best interests of the child or the practicalities/realities/logistics of raising a child. My suggestion is that you both get professional help (based on your previous posts detailing destructive behaviors) and get recommendations on authoritative/accurate books on both pregnancy and the realities of child rearing.

Please please don't risk bringing a child into this world based so much on your selfish desires for unprotected sex and your abstract/lofty notions of giving life. Yes, those abstract notions do make it easier to deal with the sleep deprivation and the hard work of raising a child (although so far I only have 4 months of experience) but it is by no means enough to get you through the many situations that are overwhelming, stressful, and exhausting -- despite being so so joyful and amazing at the same time (I can't really explain it better and am hoping this doesn't fall on deaf ears to the OP - who knows, maybe someone else will find it helpful/relevant).

Look, part of having a child is selfish (with some exceptions) -- I am just referring to the degree of selfishness based on the entire situation - and in your situation based on what you wrote and your general emotional health (or lack thereof) I think the degree of selfishness is of major concern and so unfair to an innocent baby (well, potentially) who didn't ask to be born.

Find some other risky behavior that turns you on but doesn't have this effect on another innocent life, ok? Or at least consider it strongly the next time you think of having unprotected sex.

I think there are not many cases a child would regret existing, at least not in Belgium in the western world and being mine and my kind of b/f his. No genetical diseases or handicaps, good intelligency, personality, receiving a lot of love and attention and more than just the basic needs.

I think there are not many cases a child would regret existing, at least not in Belgium in the western world and being mine and my kind of b/f his. No genetical diseases or handicaps, good intelligency, personality, receiving a lot of love and attention and more than just the basic needs.

Is that your standard - that he/she shouldn't regret existing? Well, it's certainly not mine and not anyone else's I know, whether they are parents or otherwise.

I would think that you would want to provide a child that you create a stable two parent home both financially and emotionally. How in the world are you and your bf going to give this child lots of attention if you both have to work full time plus to make ends meet? How are you going to insure that your bf wants to do that, too -- how long do you know him? Have you discussed the nitty gritty of having kids and whether he wants to raise one with you as your long term spouse or partner?

And by the way you have no idea whether you have genetic diseases or disabilities that can be passed on to a child unless you've had extensive tests and worked with a genetic counselor, or whether despite none you will not have a child with any disabilities - which is not a bad thing - it's still a blessing of course - but of course it also tons more work for you and your partner. I don't think most children with disabilities regret existing, by the way. I do think that you can't say for sure that you won't have a child who, god forbid, has a fatal condition or disease just because there's no history in your family.

Don't you owe all this to a potential child plus owe him or her your time in doing the research on pregnancy and child rearing? You seem to have some real misconceptions/misperceptions that border on the dangerous to a child/fetus.

link removed

That tells you the basic symptoms of ovulation.

Before I got on BC, I knew approximately when I was ovulating, mostly from the texture of my discharge. It becomes more slippery when you're ovulating, and it has a clear color.

I have been using the mymonthlycycle site to predict mine. It doesn't guarantee it is 100% accurate as there are variables, and can change with stress, sickness, and other factors.

I would try, if you are not ready for a baby, foam, condoms, AND the rythm method.

I know it sounds "beautiful" to have a baby but there are financial and emotional things involved too.

• 3 months later...

Archived