Not-So-Merry-Go-Round

HawkeyeMos0913

Hello all, I'm no stranger to this forum, it's just been a while since I've used it and I've forgotten my password and things!

A quick recap of my life the past year and a half: I dated a wonderful young lady for about ten months and when she went off to college things started to go sour. It may have been the distance, it may have been our inability to get along from trust issues, I honestly still have no answer to why things went bad. We broke up the week before Valentine's Day and tried to repair and manage things for a couple weeks and I kinda fell away from her. My life was going so well throughout the rest of the school year. I graduated from high school and was accepted into the University of Iowa and life was going well. One day in early June, she starts texting me and telling me how much she misses me and still loves me and my life hasn't been the same since. We don't talk often and for some reason that really bothered me. In the past five months she's really had nothing good to say to me. She got angry with me for talking to other girls, she got upset that I didn't text her back right away because I didn't have my phone on me. Ugh...and yet...for whatever reason...all these feelings of before are still there. Both her and I have changed a lot in the past five months and during those months I couldn't get over her. I figured it was just the remains of a relationship, you know, those feelings that naturally stick around for maybe a couple weeks/months due to a break up? It just doesn't feel like I am over her. Even with all the changes and things that have taken place.

I finally caved a couple nights ago telling her that I still love her and miss her and she responded with something along the lines on how she was doing well without me, and I was fine with that, but today we talked for a long while and the timing is just terrible. I just don't know if being with someone I don't know anymore is something worth working on. I leave for college in exactly five weeks from today and I want to start my life over, but for whatever reason I can't get her out of my heart or my mind.

I know the smart thing to do would just be to see how college goes because I come from a small town (less than 1,500) and UI has some 30,000 people and I know it would be a lively new taste of life. Yet, no matter where I am, no matter what I do, I always feel like I should be coming back home to her...

Help!

Small world - I was a student at the University of Iowa!

Anyways, I'm no dating expert, but as somebody who was in a very similar situation that you're in now, just a head's up - people change when they go to college. Especially you. I was also from a small town, with the U of I being about 5 times larger than my entire city... the atmosphere is completely different there than anything you have experienced, and you won't have the time to maintain a long distance relationship.

I tried the LDR thing with my ex at another school (Iowa State), and things just didn't work out. It kept me from meeting new people, and she eventually got tired of the situation and cheated on me. While she may not cheat on you if you were to start the relationship back up, things will only be tough.

Take this opportunity to enjoy the last few weeks of your summer, and then get ready to enjoy the college life. There are 30,000 people at Iowa, and SO MANY clubs and organizations that you can get involved in to meet new people. Trust me when I say that yes, breakups suck, and yes you may still have feelings for her, but once your out there with so many new people, it does get better. I was under the mindset for the longest time that it would never improve, but it really does.

Enjoy college, and LET'S GO HAWKS!

Yeah, she's at ISU too. My orientation was a blast so I know everything's going to get better, I guess it's just going to be a rough last five weeks is all.

I think if I can just make it through the rest of the summer I can put everything behind me. It's just hard to do in this small town where not a whole lot happens.

Yeah, she's at ISU too. My orientation was a blast so I know everything's going to get better, I guess it's just going to be a rough last five weeks is all.

I think if I can just make it through the rest of the summer I can put everything behind me. It's just hard to do in this small town where not a whole lot happens.

Completely understand man, completely understand. Just enjoy the summer, and don't sweat this too much. Easier said than done, I know.

Trust me, even if you were to try this relationship again, it's just not the same once college comes around.

Thank you. I just needed some reassurance is all. Thank you.

No problem.... and make sure to get student tickets and enjoy the football games! The Michigan game is at night, and you don't want to miss out on that epic atmosphere! Football games with friends were some of the best memories I had there!

Haha yes, sir. I got my tickets at orientation and one of the cheerleaders kept asking me to join the squad and I saw her a couple more times throughout the day and she kept asking me about joining. =-P I went to a night game against Syracuse a couple years back and it was still just as wild. I'm jacked for Michigan!

Lost the Love Of Your Love? Watch T...
Lost the Love Of Your Love? Watch This!

Archived