Seriously thinking about getting a Chocolate Lab! Need some advice

gbpack

Ok well i just recently graduated college found a good job and had to move away from home living on my own....I have had cats my entire life growing up but never a dog...been around dogs but never had one in the family...I have always wanted to chocolate lab and I am seriously thinking about getting one here very soon...Just need some advice on owning a dog and the training because i would be getting a pure bred lab which i have heard can be very high strung! Thanks guys and very excited

I think labs are high-maintence. They're always hyper, their tails can HURT, they can be prone to obesity and shed everywhere. But that's just me. I *loooove* lab mixes, though.

Since you are so new to dogs, I would suggest a few things:

Fostering a dog. Around me there is a place that trains labs for service dogs, and they always need help fostering/socialzing/training puppies and young dogs. Lots of rescue groups have dogs that need temporary foster homes. I would view it as a "trial run" to see if a dog really fits your lifestyle, especially if you can get a lab puppy. Then you can really see what you're in for. A rescue group would probably let you adopt the dog you fostered if you end up really likeing it.

If you get a puppy, find a good trainer and go to puppy classes. Especially beneficial for a first time dog owner.

Watch the Dog Whisperer! Haha seriously though he has some good ideas.

Hope this helps. All I can think of at the moment.

Labs are great dogs...very friendly. Some are very active and rambunctious but not all of them are like that. Someone I know has a very lazy lab who slowly saunters over with a quick wag of the tail. My lab, on the other hand, is bouncy, lively, always wagging his tail (which I love) and fun to be around. Yes, he sheds a ton, but that is a small price to pay for the companionship. He is starting to mellow a bit at 4.5 years.

Archived