How soon should you see results?

I am on my third week of weight training three days a week and cardio three days a week. I'm eating like 5-6 times a day too and trying not to cheat.

So far I see a slight difference. My stomach has tightened a bit but my clothes feel tighter!!!! Why??? I'm worried I will bulk out even though I always hear I won't. So how long should it be until I see real results? I plan on trying to keep this lifestyle, but I don't wanna get discouraged!!!

You're building up muscle.

This happened to me when I was trying to lose weight. I felt "fat" for a few weeks, but then I noticed myself trimming down.

Oh thanks!!!!!! I hope it's just a matter of being patient, which I can as long as there's good results!!!!

when your body tightens, things feel different. muscle is more dense than fat. so if you aren't seeing any changes on the scale but feel more fit, this is why. don't get discouraged, i'm sure you are doing great. this is just the beginning.

when your body tightens, things feel different. muscle is more dense than fat. so if you aren't seeing any changes on the scale but feel more fit, this is why. don't get discouraged, i'm sure you are doing great. this is just the beginning.

That must be it for me, I imagine. First week on a new regime and I lost 2 pounds, this week I haven't lost any, but I have noticed my shirts are looser, and there is alot more definition in my legs from cycling every day (including going up a fairly steep incline).

My doctor worked out a diet for me where I could indulge, but not overly so. He cut my calorie intake by about half a day (from 3k to 1.5k) and i've stuck to it bar the perscribed cheat meal i'm allowed, and even then I try not to over indulge. I don't get hungry, and i've kept to the exercise (swimming and cycling). The first week the pounds dropped so I was happy, 2lbs is a maintainable weight loss, but this week? nothing as far as I can see beyond cosmetic changes to how I look...The doctor said there would be a few weeks where the change of intake would shock my body and i'd see weird things, but y'know it is disheartening...

Do you reckon if could be that i've built up muscle, or do I need to make more changes?

i'm not sure how much weight you have to lose or have 'extra' of to lose. so, it can vary. keep at it. if you still don't notice any changes and your body doesn't look tighter muscle-wise, you will have to make a change. remember, it's not always a scale number you need to see shift.

i'm not sure how much weight you have to lose or have 'extra' of to lose. so, it can vary. keep at it. if you still don't notice any changes and your body doesn't look tighter muscle-wise, you will have to make a change. remember, it's not always a scale number you need to see shift.

Well, enough weight that my doctor stopped being polite about it. Said whilst internally my organs were fine now, and my blood pressure etc was all good, if I didn't get back on the exercise and start eating healthy my organs wouldn't be so healthy in 5 years, and he said i'd be lucky to hit 40 without serious problems...

I'd been going to the gym before but had never really ate healthy healthy, even if I didnt eat alot of cookies, cakes, chocolate, chips etc i'd have too many pizzas and burgers. I stopped going to the gym 4 months ago because i'd fell down some stairs and busted my ankle severely, and i'd just lounged about feeling sorry for myself, hence weight gain.

He took it in his own hands and ordered me to do something about it, worked out by BMR and what I needed to cut...Doc did all the tests, strength, endurance, waist measurement and imparticular body fat percentage which he took 3 readings on because he thought the first 2 were dodgy, even got a second person to perform the 3rd test incase...but then said my body fat % was lower than he assumed it would be for someone my weight...which I assume means all the work I did in the gym might have built up a bit of muscle behind all the fat...Well, truthfully I don't know...

Anyway, the scales at home only go up to 210 pounds, and I know i'm at least 320...i've been going on what my mother thought would show the weight, as in watch the scales go round fully once and round a bit again, and add the difference, but it just doesn't seem an accurate method...So part of me puts it down to dodgey inaccurate scales, but then that strikes me as a classic fatty excuse...I just have no real way of knowing how much i've lost or not...but again, my shirts feel looser round the waist, as do my swimming trunks when I go swimming, my legs look more toned, as do my chest and arms...but its disheartening I guess...just will have to wait till the monthly weigh in.

Mother says don't look at the scales, go on how you look and how your clothes fit...which I suppose i'll have to do till then.

One thing I've found about losing weight is that you never notice it. It just happens. I've lost 50lbs over the past year, and I still haven't "felt" it. Sure, I've gone down 6 pant sizes, and my clothes fit me better, but it was all so slow and gradual that I never really noticed it happening.

So it's going to happen, and it's going to happen slowly. Even if you lose 5lbs in a week, it's not like you lose it all in one minute, it happens just a little tiny bit every minute.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, from what I understand after reading a weight lifting book a few days ago, you can't actually build muscle size as quickly as we are led to believe. If it's only been three week and you may be feeling stronger, but the "bigger muscle" feeling might actually just be lactic acid buildup and swelling. You aren't really going to bulk out unless you start building muscle, and don't lose fat.

I want to start weight training soon, but I am working on losing fat first. I've lost ten pounds this summer from eating right and taking up running, and I would like to lose ten to fifteen more. At that point, I plan to work on building up my muscles with a six month program.

So basically, just make sure you can tell that you are losing fat and you won't feel bulky. Expend enough calories in a day and eat less so that you have a deficit everyday, and you will lose fat.

ETA: Visit this website: link removed

This woman has some very good information and great podcasts if you have an ipod.

Archived