How do you stay motivated to hit the gym?

There was a time in my life where I lived at the gym. My motivation levels were through the roof. I just enjoyed it so much.

Then, with a change of schedules due to a change in job/profession .. I stopped. And its been .. about 9-10 months.

On Saturday, I went back for the first time. I really enjoyed it. I've also figured out a way to fit it into my week, most days. The problem is that enthusiasm/motivation hasnt returned.

I want to go because its important to me to be fit.. but.. I'm just not feeling the same desire/drive I used to feel.

So how do I get the motivation to go? After work and after dinner is the only time I can find.. so I'll be feeling pretty tired. It'll be pretty tempting to just lounge around..

What do you guys do for motivation? I'm not going to lose weight so I can't use that as motivation. I just want to be as cardio-fit as I used to be. Or at least, half as fit.

It was hard for me to get motivated at first, but once it becomes part of the routine, it's pretty easy. Getting up and going is the hardest part. Way harder than the workout itself. Then after I started seeing muscle definition, I loved it so much that I work out as often as I can. So I guess you could say that for me, the results keep me motivated.

Yeah.. that's right.. Ive just fallen out of the routine.

Maybe as soon as I get home I'll change into my gym clothes, rather than normal relax-at-home clothes. That way once dinner is done i'll be all changed and ready anyway so it'll be easier to take that step out the door!

I miss that sense of empowerment that comes from knowing how fit you are.

Do you have any friends or family who go to the gym (or would like to) as well?

I've always been an exercise fanatic, but I've also always had a hard time getting motivated. The only reason I even joined a gym earlier this year was because my best friend persuaded me to do it so she'd have a workout buddy. About a month in, she quit going--but like Southern said, as soon as you make it part of your routine it's easier to just get up and do it, so I found it easy to keep going on my own. Now my mom works out with me, and so if I ever have a "lazy" moment she yells at me and I'm in my gym clothes with my car keys in hand in seconds.

i have the same prob.

i'll go and then the next day or week i'll slowly begin getting less motivated.

tips to go more often:

-get a gym bud (bf, gf, friends, family, siblings, parents, anyone) and try and motivate each other not to skip a day. i used to go alone, but now i'm a bit dependant on a gym bud. lol, unless i pack on ALOT of weight- then i go with or without anyone.

-eat healthier too/make healthier life and food choices.

-set goals (e.g. tone certain muscles like glutes, abs, or lose weight). probably the biggest motivator to get to the gym.

-go right after work. for me, when i worked, i'd come from work at 5 and leave home in less then a half hour. i had a routine or someone to meet at the gym which kept me motivated.

-join a class at gym like aerobics, spinning, or dance. if there's a time you have to be there you'll stick to your schedule better.

-avoid excuses.

Think of somebody's body you really admire. Use that as your motivation and think to yourself, "I want to look like her". I was a big fan of pro wrestling when I was growing up and I always wanted to be as buff as the wrestlers. That keep's me going.

I don't necessarily need a gym buddy, I can go on my own so long as I have an iPod/MP3 player what motivates me and helps me stick to my gym routine of minimum 3 times a week:

1. I go in the morning before work. I am not a morning person - far from it - but it is actually easier for the gym habit to stick when you go in the morning than when you go in the evening/at night. Tried going at night/after work before and it didn't last. This time, I have been going regularly for 5 mths straight, all because I go in the morning. I usually feel drained and tired after a full day at the office which is why it doesn't work for me to go at night.

2. The gym I go to is really near my workplace, which helps. After my workout I shower at the gym and then go straight to work. Before this, I was a member at another gym (and worked elsewhere) and the gym was at least a 20 minute drive from my workplace and most nights, what with traffic and all (which made the drive sometimes about 45 minutes long!!), I couldn't be @rsed to go.

3. Get a personal trainer. They REALLY REALLY help to motivate you, and if you find it is too expensive just do one PT session a week (i do 2). Honestly, Personal Training is part of what keeps me at the gym (also because it costs a lot so I feel I HAVE to go). Plus when you measure your progress every month it really is inspiring...

4. Get some nice gym outfits/clothes - this helped motivate me more, esp. after I had lost some weight and started looking better, i stopped wearing normal t-shirts and started wearing some nice sporty little tanks and stuff. Well, maybe this just applies to girls!

Hmm... can't think of anything else at the moment...

I'm addicted to the feeling you get once you're done. You know the feeling where you feel on top of the world? the self esteem boost, you could be fat, thin, or whatever but at that point you feel like a God (or Goddess). The adrenaline rush you get all day afterwards, like you could walk up to a bus and lift it and toss it like The Hulk (immature analogy but i'm sure people who go know what I mean). I have no problem exercising because i'm addicted to that feeling.

Archived