Mom has Pelvic Pain, Post-Menopausal Bleeding

My mom has been through many diseases and conditions in her life from Hodkins Disease (as a child), breast cancer (in both breasts), a gall bladder attack and removal, complete heart blockage from aryythmia (which required a pace-maker...if she didn't have the pace-maker, her heart wouldn't beat on its own), clinical depression, and some other things I'm forgetting including problems with severe arthritis, severe pnemonia several times, etc.

Now my mom is complaining of consistent pain in her pelvic area or groin. When she went to the doctor and got a check up, she was told that her cells looked abormal but the dr. said come back in 6 months.

Now she has been bleeding for the past few months even though she no longer has her period.

She is thinking about scheduling an invasive surgery to see what the problem is, but she's afraid of the potential risks. She's already had a lot of surgeries and radiations and doesn't want to take the chance unless she has to (she's kind of fragile now).

Has anyone heard of these symptoms? What could she have?

Thanks.

May or may not apply:

"Chronic pelvic pain in perimenopausal and postmenopausal women can be due to a variety of gynecologic disorders, including benign or malignant tumors, interstitial cystitis, pelvic adhesions, or vulvodynia. Nongynecologic conditions, such as colorectal tumors, colitis, irritable bowel syndrome, and diverticular disease, may also be causes of pelvic pain. Two of the most common causes of pelvic and vulvar/vaginal pain among midlife women are fibroids and vulvodynia/dyspareunia."

Source:

link removed

The most innocent cause would be that it is in fact a period. Periods mostly don't disappear at once in menopause, they get less frequent (and heavier because of that) and then eventually stop. My aunt had this, and it was just a period. It was very painful and very heavy. But I agree that your mom, esp. given her relatively heavy medical history, should see a doctor to see if it's more than menopausal complaints.

If her cells looked abnormal and she was told to return in 6 months and she is now bleeding, she could have a severe vaginal infection or some kind of cancer of the uterus or cervix. One should never ignore vaginal bleeding if she has been in menopause for a while and the bleeding has returned. It could also be uterine fibroids, which can bleed and if they get large enough cause pain and can be dangerous under certain circumstances.

Most likely they will take a uterine biopsy which is not all that invasive since they usually do that threw the vagina or thru tiny incisions with a scope.

I would encourage her to return to her doctor immediately. She may be worried about the procedure, but if she has a serious infection or cancer, she does need immediate treatment.

Archived