I wish I were a workaholic

I want a career that I can give myself over to completely. I want to work a minimum of 60 hours a week all year round and come home to an empty apartment that I never have time to clean and sleep five and a half hours a night and field business calls at all hours of the day and night. I want to be so busy that I don't have time to date, so people stop asking while I'm always single. I want to be so busy that I don't have time for any of the hobbies I haven't really enjoyed for years anyway. I want to be so busy that I don't even have time to stop and remember how much I loathe myself. I want to be a workaholic.

Unfortunately I have no interests, no abilities and no skills.

What do I do?

You sound like my best friend who IS a workaholic. He is always working, constantly complaining about his job. Spends a lot of time commuting too. His personal life suffers and his relationship with his bf is almost non-existent. He eventually is going to work himself to death since he doesn't take care of himself.

Yes, he makes a lot of money and has a lot to show for it (nice car, a nice house, etc), but he doesn't take the time to enjoy it.

You DON'T want to be like that because it won't make you happy and when you find the time to slow down again, you just might die before you slow down.

And yes my best friend is a workaholic because he wants to avoid facing some personal issues in his life.

I love to work because I love my job (although I love having a life outside of there too). To get any benefits from being a workaholic, I think you have to have a career that you really have a passion for.... otherwise the stress and schedule just eats you alive.

I want a career that I can give myself over to completely. I want to work a minimum of 60 hours a week all year round and come home to an empty apartment that I never have time to clean and sleep five and a half hours a night and field business calls at all hours of the day and night. I want to be so busy that I don't have time to date, so people stop asking while I'm always single. I want to be so busy that I don't have time for any of the hobbies I haven't really enjoyed for years anyway. I want to be so busy that I don't even have time to stop and remember how much I loathe myself. I want to be a workaholic.

Unfortunately I have no interests, no abilities and no skills.

What do I do?

there is nothing you're good at? nothing you like, or that interests you?

I find that hard to believe.

Think hard. think about anything that gives you joy, or fires your mind.

I think a lot of people look to find themselves, and you're no exception. Try and work from a blank slate and think about what fires you up.

there is nothing you're good at? nothing you like, or that interests you?

I find that hard to believe.

Think hard. think about anything that gives you joy, or fires your mind.

I think a lot of people look to find themselves, and you're no exception. Try and work from a blank slate and think about what fires you up.

I was a musician once. My life revolved around my bass guitar for a few years. But one day I woke up and realized that this was not the life I wanted. I was sick of being misunderstood and broke. I want a career that people actually respect - where punctuality and hard work actually matter and where everyone around me isn't too high to remember anything.

I have not written any music in seven months and the only reason I still have my bass is because I can't decide if I should sell it, give it away, or smash it to pieces. The fact that I play bass used to be the first thing I tell people about myself: now it's the last.

Music has become an albatross around my neck, but if I strip away the "musician" label from myself, there really won't be much left of me at all.

"It is impossible to say just what I mean." -T.S. Eliot

I love to work because I love my job (although I love having a life outside of there too). To get any benefits from being a workaholic, I think you have to have a career that you really have a passion for.... otherwise the stress and schedule just eats you alive.

I think there is a difference between devoting a lot of time to your job and hiding behind your job!

what is your job? if you don't mind me asking

I love what I do and I'm a work-a-holic! I love it! I get to spend many hours every day doing what I love best. So what's the matter with that? My bf is also a work-a-holic, but I'm worse. He always compliments me and calls me a "Little worker bee" with great pride in his voice. I do have the apartment that is never cleaned and little free time, but that's not bad. I am taking a break from preparing a paper and presentation for school as I write this. If you love what you do, being a work-a-holic is great! If you don't have a great passion for something, putting 10-12 hours per day at it will be a form of torture, not bliss. Find what you love to do and then losing yourself to your job or career will be a fun, productive thing!

Archived