Cat hates new puppy - filled with guilt!

emma34

My cat is 10 mo. old. She is actually the best cat in the world, so awesome. For some reason I figured I needed a dog too (sort of an impulse decision to be quite honest, although I do know alot about dogs from raising them with my family). Anyway, had puppy for a week - she is 9 weeks old. I'll be totally honest, I'm considering the fact that this decision was a mistake. But I'm stuck with it now.

My cat hates my pup, and has been very upset about it. She won't come near me when pup is around and has swatted at pup several times. I thought if I left them alone for a bit they would sort out the pecking order, but instead cat just ignored pup.

Anyway, I'm feeling a pretty immense amount of guilt,because I love my cat and don't want her to feel jealous or upset. Does it get better?

In two months time, your dog will be larger than the cat, then it wont really matter. Dogs and cats have never really been known to frolic around the fields holding eachothers paws if you get my point.

Theres an adjustmet period for all animals, my old dog actually urinated on my puppy when he was small. so your cat merely ignoring the pup is the least of your worries.

Give it time. And don't give the cat a lot of attention. She will come to you sooner or later.

My daughter has a cat that was a typical 'princess'. She got ticked off when they got another cat. Even more so when they got a third cat. And when they got a dog she was most unimpressed. But she's learned to live with it. She still wants to eat the hamster though.

Make sure there are a lot of high places that your cat can get to that your puppy can't.

Otherwise, your cat will be severely stressed out once the puppy becomes a dog and wants to play with the cat.

If you have a large house, consider putting a little bell on your dog's collar so your cat can know when the puppy is coming her way.

You're cat will eventually adjust but the animals will most likely never be best friends. Most cats don't get attached to any other animals in the house but they always learn to live with them. I have a 6 year old cat who is attached to my sides at all times and I've been thinking about getting a dog. I know that this is going to uspet my cat a lot, but I've had other animals before and she always adjusted after a few weeks.

It seems like cats & dogs are best adjusted when you get them at the same time, or get the dog first, and the cat is a young kitten. We had my dog at my dad's house first and the cats don't care about the dog either way.

At my mom's house, we had the cats for many years before the dog. The cats HATED the dog at first, now they just tolerate him a little bit. They are slightly better than before but definitely not friends. Make sure the cat can get to it's food & litter without having to cross paths with the dog. The cats at my mom's house started going to the bathroom on the floor upstairs to avoid the dog downstairs.

I've been waiting a year for our older cat to adjust to our young cat. It's not happening. I think it's more a matter of the personality of the individual cat. A week isn't enough time to know for sure whether the cat will settle down and adapt, though.

Cats are not pack animals, so unlike dogs, they don't necessarily have hardwired incentives to work out the dominance order.

Archived