Living with CFS - I guess I just need to vent!

I have chronic fatigue syndrome. It sucks. Most of the time I can deal with it, but I am tired of being tired 24/7.

I used to be a very active person and a good professional. I used to go out a lot and enjoy an active social life. Now I am a shadow of my former self. I pace myself all the time in order to conserve energy and be able to at least work, as I support myself with no help. In the country I live, CFS is not even recognized as a disease yet. Fortunately I have a relatively easy job that I can deal with, but there are other jobs that I would like to apply for, but I am afraid that the workload will be something I will not be able to cope with. The job I do is of a linguistic nature and since I got ill, I’ve noticed that my memory has suffered and that can be a huge problem. I have no energy, but so many plans and things that I would like to do. I love life. I love learning and doing things for my personal growth. My natural tendency for the last two years is to sleep. I am tired of taking it easy. I know that it is a fat chance, but I want my old self back.

My boyfriend is very supportive and understanding, but I am afraid that this whole thing will eventually become too much for him. We are serious about our relationship, but the thought of having a family is overwhelming for me at this point of my life. So is the thought of having children, as I barely have energy to deal with myself, let alone another human being that will be dependent on me. Our social life suffers as a result of this. Most of the time I am perfectly happy with being a couch potato, but I cannot impose this on him. Sometimes I sleep at 9, because I am too tired. His friends (all couples) call us to go out with them. Most of the times he ends up going out himself, because honestly I see no reason why he should stay at home looking at me while I sleep. I wish we could do more things together, though. I wish we could be normal.

I had body perception issues all my life. My body is so weak now, that I cannot exercise and I cannot diet. As a result I am putting weight on. The slightest attempt at minimizing my daily calorie intake sends me crashing. So does any form of exercise, even walking. I hate this. I eat healthy, no junk food, lots of fruits and veggies, olive oil etc. I take my Omegas and my Q-10ns. I meditate and try to be positive, but sometimes I just become so cranky and cannot help it. Sometimes my outlook on life becomes extremely pessimistic. I am worried about the future, about possible relapses, about my job, my prospects. I am tired of being a zombie.

Any advice on coping would be greatly appreciated. So would be a story “How I cured my CFS”.

Thank you all for listening.

So very sorry to know your not feeling well.

Have you went to a doctor for this (I didn't see in your post that you went to an M.D.). Also could it be from your depression? When a person is depressed your mental and physical being can go through alot of emotional changes...one of those symptoms is fatigue.

I would say if you haven't go get a good physical with your doctor, continue with your good eating habits, and try yoga starting out slow.

Hope this helps.

Sorry to hear that you are suffering from fatigue. It sucks I know. I don't have CFS but I do have Rheumatoid Arthritis and Lupus which cause major fatigue 98% of the time for me.

"I'm tired of being tired"... I just said that myself earlier today! I know what you mean though... it sucks. It's like a vampire drained all your energy from you instead of your blood. As soon as you get up to do something you are to tired and weak to do it. Sometimes I push myself to much and I end up getting nauseas from the fatigue because the room will start spinning. It's definitely hard to accept at times that I will never be "normal" or have my old self back. So finding ways to cope becomes your new life.

Pacing is VITAL. Example, housecleaning I will give myself about 15-20 minutes on something then take a 5 minute break. It keeps me going. And when I am to tired to stand up I look for things to do sitting down... or even make standing up things turned into sitting down. Like dishes, I will pull over a chair or stool so I can sit while doing them.

I am a mother of a 3 year old boy. I don't know how I do it sometimes... but I just do. Everyday is a struggle, I won't lie. But having my son is worth every ache and pain in my body. He really lights up my life! Yeah sometimes I get to where I feel like I am not a good mommy because I can't be normal but I know that is just in my head... I spend a lot of time with him and try to teach him something new each day. And he is such a good little helper to!

And I can relate with the social life. My husband sometimes gets aggravated about me not being able to "get up and go" or having to cancel on friends. Most the time I will tell him to "just go" but he won't without me (unless it is fishing lol).

You just got to do what you got to do.

Thank you so much for taking the time to get back to me. It’s always good to talk to people that can relate to what you’re going through.

Dear Dream warrior: Two and a half years ago I was infected with a gland virus, which gave me subsequent Post Viral Fatigue. I was hospitalized for 3 weeks and was on sick leave for 4 months, as I could barely walk due to the exhaustion. Before the doctors found what I have, I had every test imaginable and I was examined by doctors from various fields. I had also a psychological evaluation. Despite the fact that I am completely “healthy”, what I am left with is lingering fatigue and minor neurological problems. What really bugs me is the feeling of not being able to have a “clear” head, and also some memory loss which comes with the territory. I don’t suffer from depression – occasionally I succumb to pessimism, but I believe that it is pretty normal for someone suffering from a chronic condition.

Dear Angel Baby: I am sorry you have to go through this. I can totally relate. Not everybody can understand how it is to wake up every single day drained or how does it feel when rest does not make you feel refreshed. Everything is an effort. It is funny but I use the vampire metaphor a lot myself lol. I know that many people have it worse, but you just get caught up in your own problems and fail to realize that.

Currently I am trying to make my boyfriend realize that I cannot be “wonder woman”, something customary in the Mediterranean where I live. Things are quite “old fashioned” around here and women are the ones anticipated to take care of everything regarding the household, in addition to working. I cannot fit into that model-and he needs to know that. He seems to be understanding so far and helps around the house, does the dishes, goes shopping…That is a huge relief so far.

Dear Sarey: Thank you for getting back to me. Did you have any medical tests to exclude other conditions that may lead to fatigue? Thyroid? B12 deficiency? Celiac disease?

Hi Dear!

I think so many issues happen b/c our bodies dont have the nutrients they need. Sometimes biological things can cause psychological problems even.

I really would suggest link removed

I have been taking her advice, and I have been getting better with depression/anxiety. A month ago I couldnt even get out of my bed, it was so hard to even live. This lady spends hours each day helping so many ppl all over the world. I would really recommend the website, and discovering options

HOW to STOP MULTITASKING
HOW to STOP MULTITASKING

Archived