Overhelmed

I feel so anxious. I have so many things that I want to do, but when I sit down and write it all down and then look at how long the list is I get anxious and freeze and feel as if it's all too much. I feel achy all the time because I'm so tense. I really don't know how to help myself. Any suggestions?

Take small steps to achieve your goals. Focus on one at a time, then once it is accomplished, move on to the next. It also might be a good idea to throw the list away.

As for the tension, consider meditation or relaxation techniques. Listen to soothing music, nature sounds, engage in relaxing activities.

I get like that too. Especially if I'm packing to go away somewhere or starting a huge paper for school. It's like where do you start? am I going to forget something or mess this up somehow? Will I have enough time? But first I always take deep breaths and put it away for a little bit. I focus on something else (going to the gym was a good suggestion) but reading a book or writing or taking a walk ..anything to get your mind off of it for a little is good. Once you are calm you can reapproach it again make a plan of how you want to accompish your list and when. Maybe put it into groups so it doesn't look like a huge list, just a bunch of little lists. Anxiety is annoying, but you can't let it stop you from completing the list! =)

Thanks for all the advice. I never though of it as anxiety, but that makes sense. I do tend to be very anxious. I am going to try finding a yoga class that I can attend on a regular basis and try the rewriting the list, but in groups. I always feel so silly for getting so overwhelmed by things that shouldn't be so stressful but it looks like I'm not alone.

Archived