Serious Question about Nail Files

How to Get Rid of Split Ends at Home
How to Get Rid of Split Ends at Home

what is a good one to get? i clip my nails to keep them nice and trim, but sometimes there are sharp edges. it's hard to make your nails nice and rounded on the tips with just clippers.

and sometimes when i've trimmed, then hooked up with girls and the foreplay part hurts them *inside* a bit because of the nails. i want to avoid this from now on. sometimes i scratch myself doing random things...wiping sweat off my face at the gym, putting on a shirt, an itch, etc. i scratch myself. no marks, just irritating for a second.

i just bought some cheapees and paid like $1 for like 6. is there a good one that last forever. i'm not going to be an avid user of them, maybe once a week or something, so economical too. i'd buy and expensive single one if it lasted a long time. i'm sure the ones i got will take forever to use up.

aren't there metal ones that last like forever? any insight ladies. even men i guess.

I own a couple that I paid about $1.50 for. They aren't the little brown emery boards that you can buy in a pack, they are about 4 inches and have different grains on each side to control how thin you make your nail tips (I hate having long nails, so I file as low as I can). They've lasted me a good 8 months so far. I don't like the metal ones, I don't think they work as well. They do last longer, but they're kind of frustrating to use in my opinion.

Hope that helps!

This is what I use:

link removed

okay, i guess a side question to this...

since i'm just going to keep them short, should i even clip them and then file or just file then down?

It's better for your nails to just file them down. Sometimes if I have let mine get long, I will trim them first then smooth them with the file, but it's much better (to prevent cracking) to just file and skip the clippers.

I'll tell what I do...

Place I go to, a spa, does manicures and pedicures. They give you the files after they do your nails (since they would throw them out anyways).

They are the professional quality ones with multiple grains and work super good.

The girls will usually give an extra if you ask nicely, too.

Not all spas and salons throw out their files after using them (but no worries - they all sanitize them!) Many salons, though, will have no problem ordering you a file, or giving you one when they get new ones in.

The trouble with the brown emery boards that you find at drugs stores and such are that the grit is too tough on natural nails (it's even tougher than you'd use on acrylic nails).

One of the first posters mentioned a crystal file from Sephora. They are great! I have had one for quite awhile that I use.. and no nail clipper needed. The one I currently use is by Nail Tek, but I know many of the popular polish brands also make them. Just be sure to buy one that comes with a hard case, as they are very breakable.

I agree about not getting a metal file. Those damage nails also from what I've read plus they don't make things as smooth. Think of it like if you where to smooth out wood with a metal "file" (for wood of course lol) or sand paper.

The sandpaper ones are great. Cut your nails first, then just file to make it neater. I'd suggest keeping them real short for when you're gonna finger a girl.

After your done wash hands to get off that chalky feeling sandpaper.

I agree about not getting a metal file. Those damage nails also from what I've read plus they don't make things as smooth. Think of it like if you where to smooth out wood with a metal "file" (for wood of course lol) or sand paper.

The sandpaper ones are great. Cut your nails first, then just file to make it neater. I'd suggest keeping them real short for when you're gonna finger a girl.

After your done wash hands to get off that chalky feeling sandpaper.

i hope after fingering a girl i don't have chalky sandpaper feeling. lol, i know what you meant.

Hey Ghost,

I have had a lot of nail files in my life. I hate the metal ones and the glass ones. The grit on the brown ones that look like sandpaper is way too rough for me. I found a great oneat Walgreens and I love it. Its pink, but the grit level is right. It has a grit level of about 280/320. The higer the grit level the finer the coarseness. It just smoothes out the rough edges. I have seen simillar blue ones at Sally's Beauty Supply. Here is a link:

link removed

Hope this helps.

owb

Archived