Useless routines and social status

A little about myseld: I work as a student on saturday in a very big store that sells furniture. That's about 8 hours / week, just enough to pay school. I work together with senior people. Actually, I am the youngest person in my department ( which is about 20 people between 20 and 50 years old ).

Lately, I'm having problems with certain thing:

We have a couple of routines who are totally useless, waste time and money and just have no point at all. When I point it out, the seniors won't take me seriously because I'm:

A) A student and therefore work less

B) I'm younger

C) They have "more" workexperience ( We have knowledge evaluations once a year to work on improvement and I score higher then half the people working there, while spending 3-4 less time at work. So that isn't true at all )

Am I wrong or is this all about social status ? They want me to do useless stuff just so they can have power on me. Just to keep me busy. And they don't accept my comments because of the 3 reasons above ?

It might have to do with the way you say it. When "new people" come in to our work and say, "this is a real waste of time." or "why do you guys do things this way?" it's a little off-putting. Maybe say to the one manager (instead of the group) "I have an idea that I think could save some money and time and therefore free us up to offer better customer service". He/she should at least hear you out.

It might have to do with the way you say it. When "new people" come in to our work and say, "this is a real waste of time." or "why do you guys do things this way?" it's a little off-putting. Maybe say to the one manager (instead of the group) "I have an idea that I think could save some money and time and therefore free us up to offer better customer service". He/she should at least hear you out.

I never tried it that way, probably because I think I won't influence anything. But it's definitely worth a try.

But I'm no newcomer. I work there 4 years already, since the store opened. I'm just a young, silly easygoing person and that must annoy them somehow.

AS for things that bother me:

- Using new paper when we have loads of recycled paper

- Throwing away PERFECTLY FUNCIONAL printing machines and replacing them by new ones = money waste. In the end you just want paper printed no ?

- Throwing away brand new articles with only the plastic foil who has been slightly opened = waste of money. And you realise that people make this in poor countries ? They just throw it away like that .....

- Taking care of 2-3 customers at the same time is a new routine. "Because it goes faster" --> Pissed off customers, doesn't look proffesional, waste of time ( everything goes in fact slower ) and causing unneeded stress

These are a few ...

It sounds like you have some great ideas to share and in an eco-friendly environment, they might be more appreciated. If you don't get to accomplish much with your manager, at least file your ideas away for your first job interview where you can explain that you're able to make good observations about procedures and offer helpful cost-saving suggestions when you see them (you don't have to mention that nobody listened to you...hee hee)

If you can bring them up kindly and helpfully to your manager, I can almost guarantee you'll stand out to him as a go-getter of sorts and that'll be helpful when you go for the job you *really* want and can use him as a reference.

It sounds like you have some great ideas to share and in an eco-friendly environment, they might be more appreciated. If you don't get to accomplish much with your manager, at least file your ideas away for your first job interview where you can explain that you're able to make good observations about procedures and offer helpful cost-saving suggestions when you see them (you don't have to mention that nobody listened to you...hee hee)

If you can bring them up kindly and helpfully to your manager, I can almost guarantee you'll stand out to him as a go-getter of sorts and that'll be helpful when you go for the job you *really* want and can use him as a reference.

Hah, it's been 2 years I haven't had a job interview ! I'll go find him tomorow and jump in his office ! And I will buy his favourite candy to manipulate him muhaha

I agree with everything you're saying but be careful; you could get laid off first if there's downsizing and the manager feels threatened.

I wrote my principal a letter to discuss some changes I thought our school site needed to make. She said she'd meet with me, cancelled the meeting, and then seemed to avoid me. The school was extremely disorganized and a poor environment for everyone concerned. We could have had parent outreach, more school rules and procedures, more clear expectations for teachers (instead of an intercom interruption 10 minutes before the closing bell, demanding that teachers turn in some paperwork ASAP--that we never knew about until now).

So be careful. Maybe just bring one thing up at a time or the boss might think you are a disgruntled employee. And make sure when you say stuff, you say it in a polite way.

Good luck!

What's that expression..."When in Rome do as the Romans do". In any organization there is going to be waste, silly expenses, stupid, inefficient ways of doing things. One thing you have to be careful about is not coming accross as a know-it-all. Choose your battles. What you have been describing are not wise battles to choose. The organization is aware of what they are doing. How many people in your age group throw away ipods as soon as the latest one comes out. Companies are not the only people who waste valuable resources in order to get the latest and greatest technology. Regular consumers are big wasters...throwing away electronics that are perfectly fine in order to get the current trends. Talk about bad for the environment...grocery stores are doing away with plastic bags which are functional and re-usable (allegedly for the environment but it is really all about money) but every day there are massive quantities of environmentally unfriendly computers, radios, ipods etc being tossed out in our disposable society.

Sometimes you just have to accept what your organization does and not try to change them over.

Archived