Swine Flu + pregnancy

SamiJayne

The UK has decided to go to the next stage regarding the Swine flue. It was Quaintine and control, now it's changed too just treatment.

Sadly an outbreak of it at my mother in laws school has happened. 60+ children were off with swine flu, this week. And more are getting it. Thats out of 390 children...

My mother in law,both my brothers in law, Cousin in law ALL work at this school

I tried looking on the net without much success. Obviously I'm worried as I am living with the lot of them. I am going for another scan tomorrow to check my cervix, so I will be asking my consultant there. I just wanted some facts that people might know.

UK is NOT doing the vacine until late september and that could still be changed.

I'm really worried about my baby and my pregnancy enough already with loosing Sophie last year. I really don't want to be even more worried if it's not worth worrying about.

Hopefully you have advice!!!

Gosport. Hampshire.

And the only has 60 something cases reported. The rest of the unauthorised absences aren't being counted.

I read on the NHS website that it can cause premature labour, Like I'm not already worrying enough about that.

I will probably refuse to leave the hospital tomorrow until they give me the steroid injection (the one that matures the babies lungs) (They give it to "some" people that have had premature labours before)

And there are no other living arangements until we finish the whole buying a house thing. We're still in the starting stages of it. So thats another 4+ weeks.

My family live 230 miles away, and One of them is being treated for Hand Foot and Mouth.. So I'm stuffed either way. lol. Which is the worst!!

oh hun I live in the UK too and I know how scared you are, my baby is only a few months old and I am panic stricken at this Swine flu stuff. my partner came home last week and told me a guy at his company had been confirmed with having it, I was throwing up with panic and told him to stay away. He said to me 'where do you want me to go and for how long? its everywhere?!!'

in the summer members of our family went to Mexico and so we kept away from them for a month, but people are breaking out with this flu everywhere and unless we lock ourselves inside our houses and don't go out or bother with anyone, I think its difficult to prevent ourselves getting it.

I carry a tub of that alcohol hand wash thingy that kills bacteria and when i go out in public i use it everytime i press a button on a traffic light or touch a door handle. I also wash every bit of fruit and veg I buy thoroughly, I clean every surface in my house with dettol or any other antibacterial chemical. I avoid people who are coughing or snivelling and thats all I can do.

I spend most evenings praying to God not to let my baby get it because I fear she could die with her being so young and vulnerable.

Its awful.

All I can say to you, is don't have any personal intimate contact with members of your family for a few weeks, I know you live with them but as long as you are always within 5 metres of them and tell them if they cough to cover their mouths and to maintain strong hygeine, all surfaces in the house cleaned constantly, all members of the family washing their hands constantly, its alll you can do.

try not to panic because it wont be good for the baby, practice breathing.

i know you are extra scared after what happened to Sophie and my heart breaks for you, but remember, the normal flu kills thousands of people all the time and its never mentioned, all you can do it be clean and hygenic and hope for the best.

xxx

To be honest, I can understand why you're worried, however as always if you apply a modicum of common sense to these things you can generally protect yourself (and being a government worker, we're all fully apprised of this thing)

1) Buy some hand sanitiser, use it when you enter the house and after going to the toilet etc.

2) If anyone in the house sneezes, cover it, place the tissue in a bin and then sanitise hands again

Just a few basic precautions can really help, but, unfortunately, with the level of alert we are at at the moment there is nothing you can do to stop yourself getting it besides precautions.

My consulant was very good, even said the news are "overplaying" it. That unless you have health problems before the flu hits, then it will just be a really bad bout of flu.

So I'm now carrying alcohol hand wash, and everyone is already taking precautions at home as not to spread it (if they have it, or carry it none have it as of yet *Touch wood).

Consultant also said not to hug anyone for a while.

He also said the baby is now 1lb 13 =D And if we make it to 40 weeks will most likely be around 8lb... Why oh why did the baby take after ME... all my mums children were big babies, even though I was a month early I was still 8lb... Yet my partner was on time, I think maybe a few days overdue.. And he was a lovly 6lb...

My poor baby getting my geans

oh, and my cervix is above average so they finally have agreed that wasn't the reason Sophie arrived early. It's something we'll never know. And cervix was fully closed. He was so pleased, that i dont have another appointment now until august 20th. Just for my benifit he says, so I don't worry to much. =)

Archived