don't know which decisions to take (psychiatry)

I used to think pills were for those that couldn't help themselves. I was younger and stupid!

The meds can help you clear your mind enough to get a better perspective on your life and any problems you might be having trouble dealing with. Start off on a low dose and see what happens and then you can always increase it later if needed with your doctors blessing. Many of these meds take weeks to take full affect so be patient.

Why don't you list what the doctor wants you to consider taking and we could give you our experience with them and what to expect.

Lost

I have a lot of issues. Seriously... loads. And I don't take medication. The outcome? I've got quite a few screws loose... When I did take medication for 6 months, it did help and life was a lot better. I stopped taking them due to major procrastination issues and side effects (nausea).

My take? If your problems are bad enough, I'd take them. I'm really bad with taking pills so that's why I don't. But if there was some sort of automatic pill dispenser that didn't require me to remember taking them and just shot these drugs into my body without me having to remember to do it... then I'd be all for it. lol

I honestly think most docs won't push a drug on you unless you really need it. I've even been denied certain things that I don't need. As long as you have an ehitcal doctor, I would trust their advice.

Medication is not always the solution. Most Drs push them bc they get a financial kickback. Ive actually heard of some ppls conditions becoming worse after being medicated.

If you dont mind me asking, what are your probs? Maybe you can research some herbal remedies for your issue.

Medication is not always the solution. Most Drs push them bc they get a financial kickback. Ive actually heard of some ppls conditions becoming worse after being medicated.

If you dont mind me asking, what are your probs? Maybe you can research some herbal remedies for your issue.

if she has been diagnosed with a mental illness by her psychaitrist, and given some of the past threads she has started, i think that is a strong possibility. she needs treatment NOW.

if she has been diagnosed with a mental illness by her psychaitrist, and given some of the past threads she has started, i think that is a strong possibility. she needs treatment NOW.

Im sorry, I didnt read past threads.

Get a second and third opinion, if that is what you need to feel comfortable in making a decision.

Also try to make sure your psych and regular doctor are in some form of communication.

You can set a date for yourself in the near future: by X X day I will decide.

Whatever your worries about the recommended meds he/she is suggesting, let your psych know! That person is specifically there to help you, and to listen. Feel free to talk to your doctor too if you are worried about the medical side of it.

It's difficult (in my experience) to trust the input of just one person in such important matters. But if you have a few more well-trained heads in there, the treatment path they are trying to build for you will be much more clear and easier to decide on. The important thing is to start a treatment path that works for you.

Do you understand why your psych feels it is so important you start medication? You have the final word - so feel free to ask all the questions you need to.

Remember: A month will pass whether you do anything or not. You could be right where you are now, or you could be on the road to something different. Which do you want?

Take care B. Let us know what you decide.

Qut81,

Not all doctors push drugs for fun. Ours are very decent human beings that are helping us live through what would be unbearable situations. Be careful when advising someone to ignore their doctor's advice.

Exactly what I was going to say.

Qut81,

Not all doctors push drugs for fun. Ours are very decent human beings that are helping us live through what would be unbearable situations. Be careful when advising someone to ignore their doctor's advice.

Not really for fun but financial gain. Its a proven fact that some Drs receive kickbacks for prescribing certain medications. Drs push antidepressants on pretty much everyone.

I wasnt really saying to ignore her Drs advice. I was pointing out there are other options. I dont think antidepressants are the key to everything. Some of them have serious side effects. Some herbs can relieve the same symptoms without the harmful side effects. My sister is an herbalist.

Not really for fun but financial gain. Its a proven fact that some Drs receive kickbacks for prescribing certain medications. Drs push antidepressants on pretty much everyone.

I wasnt really saying to ignore her Drs advice. I was pointing out there are other options. I dont think antidepressants are the key to everything. Some of them have serious side effects. Some herbs can relieve the same symptoms without the harmful side effects. My sister is an herbalist.

Well, some herbs can also be very dangerous.

I wouldn't trust psychiatrists' advice with a bargepole. OP, nobody should.

Ask your doctor if your condition is actually listed in the DSM-IV or ICD-10, or whether he/she can deem you as being mentally ill by standard psychiatric practices.

If he/she cannot, then dump him and sue his/her tail. doctors, pah.

I hope you don't take everything you hear on this forum too seriously, Belgian Girl. You should probably seek advice from the doctors instead of online. It could be dangerous.

I agree.

I find some of this advice to be extremely dangerous and negligent.

Just taking the pills and doing something for yourself is a great step for learning to live/recover from a mental illness. That little thing makes a huge difference.

I know too many horrible personal stories of people "coming off the pills" to not believe that.

I'd seek a second opinion if you really are concerned, but, it should be with a different yet qualified doctor. And, only come "off" the pills if you start having bad side effects. When side effects occur, talk to your doctor about it. You can't just cold turkey quit pills. That's horrible for you. He'll put you on a plan to gradually switch drugs until you find the one right for you.

I wouldn't trust psychiatrists' advice with a bargepole. OP, nobody should.

Ask your doctor if your condition is actually listed in the DSM-IV or ICD-10, or whether he/she can deem you as being mentally ill by standard psychiatric practices.

If he/she cannot, then dump him and sue his/her tail. doctors, pah.

what does those capital letter containing words mean. I am dutch, sry don´t know what it means.

tnx for reacting.

have to add they almost are neglecting my physical problems and are focusing at the psychological.

Also they don´t even have the dossier yet that my previous psychiatrists and doctors planned to send them about resp. five months and two years ago. Even if I ask previous psychiatrists for a kopie for my own use they still don´t contact me after months.

Archived