Just found out two of my best friends are gay/bi

I had heard a rumor that my best friend A was gay, but it was from an unreliable source so I didn't put much faith into it. Then when we were all on a vacation as a group we were sitting in a restaurant and he announced it to the table that he was gay. But he jokes around a lot and said it in a way that could have been easily passed off as a joke, so I didn't pay much mind to it.

However, my best friend B just broke it to me that he's bisexual, and that A wasn't kidding when he said he was gay. B said they've been talking about it a lot together and now I'm one of the first people he's come out to.

I have no problem at all with them being gay/bi, I respect that they're able to be open and honest about it and I don't think any differently of them. It's just surprising to hear this coming from people that I have been close to for years and have known so well. It's like a huge secret that's just come out, and I'm caught off-guard.

I don't really know where I'm going with this...just wanted to get my thoughts out.

Yeah, I get the whole big-news bit...

It's weird hearing stuff like that from people you've known for ages, huh?

Definitely.

I never expected it from either of them. In fact, I had a crush on A for the longest time, lol. And B never showed any interest in either boys or girls, so it just never crossed my mind that he'd be anything but straight. It's pretty surprising to hear about this all at once.

Well as long as no one hits on you, it shouldn't be a problem. Like you said, you don't care. And that's awesome that you don't think any differently of them

Haha, well I hope they wouldn't hit on me anyway, we've been friends so long that it would be weird!!

I'm also having to come to terms with the idea of B growing up! He was so uninterested in dating or in other people all through high school, so I just never pictured him as a sexual person. And now he says he wants to open up in college, just go out and date and get laid...it's like seeing my little brother get older right before my eyes

Haha, I had the same issue with my mate's little sister.

She sent me a couple of things she'd written (short stories) and I was like O.o ... so, R, when'd you start writing that kinda stuff?!

And now a certain member here has me convinced that she's hitting on me (thanks, Woluf)...

yea, i get it when u say that it's huge news, i can understand cos it's like finding out a secret that someone close has never shared with you.. this doesn't relate but the emotional part does. my mum was on holidays and went overseas to visit her parents, after a few weeks of her coming back, she asked me why i didn't ask how my grandparents were, so i asked and she said that one of them was dead. it was quite a huge shock cos i was close with both of my grandparents, and the worst part was, my mum didn't tell me until a long time after.

Archived