Any lawyers or law students?

I am about to start my third year of college. I've decided that I want to go to law school, and I'm starting to get overwhelmed because I know that I'm not doing all that I need to do in preparation. My grades are solid and I'm not worried about that at all.

What can I do to prepare? Any particular things I can do to juice up the resume? Also, I'd like to take a course for the LSAT but I'm not even sure how to go about looking for one because I don't know any names of programs that put those on. Are there any books you can suggest I read to start studying? Because I know I'm already behind and I need to do this stuff now. Today I kind of started freaking out...

Any advice you can give is greatly appreciated.

When do you want to enter law school? Do you want to go right from undergrad to law school, or take a year off?

If you want to go straight to law school, I would plan on taking the LSAT in June of your junior year. That way, if your scores aren't what you hoped- yo can re-take the test again in September. Then you will apply to law schools in the fall of your senior year, and you should hear back by early spring.

So, if you are just entering your junior year, you should be fine. I would suggest taking a prep course and also buying some books. There are lots of great book that are geared to certain parts of the test and the application- definitely get a book that deals with the logic part, and you also might want a book that talks about how to write a great law school application essay.

The biggest part of preparing is to take as many practice tests as possible, go over your scores and understand the questions that you answered incorrectly.

Taking the LSAT is very important as your score will be one of the main factors for determining which law school you can attend. There are various programs out there that will prepare you for the lsat, it isnt necessary to take the class but it may help you. Some people are okay with purchasing a LSAT booklet while others prefer taking a class.

A main factor must in determining whether you take the class or not is the cost, which can be quite significant.

I would suggest with purchasing a book and seeing if it works for you because this will cost you less than $100 (US) then if the book doesnt work for you then you can move onto the class.

Yes, Kaplan can be quite expensive (around $1,200). If you've got the discipline, you can study on your own for far cheaper. Make sure you take practice tests and concentrate on your time management.

As for timing, you've got plenty of time if you plan on going to law school right after undergrad.

With respect to resume building, I'd shoot for a summer intership (might be late to get one now but try for summer after junior year) with a non-profit, law firm, or government agency. They usually have programs geared towards undergrad/pre-law. Any type of volunteer experience is a plus. But most law school decisions are based on grades and LSAT, so make sure to stay focused on those.

In terms of coursework, writing classes in undergrad are helpful later on (a big part of law school/law practice is research and writing). I'd recommend taking an intro economics course (math isn't prevalent in law school but learning certain economic concepts are). Any philosophy course in logic and reasoning is a BIG PLUS (but not necessary).

Internship in a prestigious law firm or the DA's office. The DA's office carries lots of legal clout. My bf is an attorney and he did the DA's office. He told me that nothing could prepare you better for the actual practice of law, that is if you want to be a trial lawyer.

Internship in a prestigious law firm or the DA's office. The DA's office carries lots of legal clout. My bf is an attorney and he did the DA's office. He told me that nothing could prepare you better for the actual practice of law, that is if you want to be a trial lawyer.

Sweet! My uncle is the DA here haha

Archived