Exercising while Sick

Hey all, I've kick-started a lifestyle change that's included healthy food choices and regular exercise, and so far I've lost 5 pounds in 3 weeks, which I'm pretty happy about!

Unfortunately, I came down with something last night and woke up still sick this morning. I'm wondering if anyone has any tips for exercising while being sick? I don't want to stop working out, but I don't want to keep exercising at the pace that I have (about a 40-45 minute run 4-5 days per week), because I feel tired and my throat is swollen and sore (I think I caught what's been going around at work, since the girl's who have gotten sick have all started out with a sore throat ).

Also, I like to do workout DVDs on rainy days or days that don't allow me to workout outside. Would it be okay for me to do one of my Yoga DVDs? Thanks for the advice in advance!!

Good question. I run everyday whether it be sun, rain, storm, or snow; 25 or -2 degrees.

So I would say listen to your body - if you feel up to it, do it (maybe cut down to a 20min for the mean while). But if ur feeling sick, don't push yourself too hard. Last thing you want is dehydration and renal failure.

And to be honest, a sore throat isn't much - you've seen guys play on despite a broken knee - if that puts it into perspective for you.

If you're feeling sick, tired, and your throat is swollen and sore ... I'd recommend you rest for a few days. In the meantime, keep the standard of your diet very high, while still making sure you get enough nutrients/energy to fight off the virus. A rest period will see you back at full capacity, ready for exercise, far quicker than you would (most likely) be otherwise. Likewise, by keeping your diet on-track, you won't be allowing those positive first steps to degrade. You'll also prove to yourself that you can ease up on the exercise when necessary, without falling off the wagon.

My two cents...

I would not do it, to be honest. I almost always end up injuring myself because I'm simply not at my best. If you want to get some exercise, stick to isokinetic stuff like stretching or yoga. That will help your body feel better.

When you are sick, your body needs extra resources to fight the illness. If you're out physically stressing the body while sick, you can make yourself sicker or prolong the illness.

If it's just a cold, a leisurely walk wouldn't hurt, but anything that stresses the lungs or throat (like jogging) is out. I think yoga stretches would be fine, but if it's aerobic exercises that get you breathing hard, no.

Many people get addicted to exercise mentally, and ignore their body's cues that it is time to rest and heal. i wouldn't let a mental addiction overcome your body's need to recuperate.

If you think about it, it's the most painful symptoms of physical illness that clear the body for it to heal. We purge the digestive tract to starve internal viruses, we suffer through the mess of head colds in order to clear the membranes. The symptoms aren't the illness, they're the painful physical reactions that are the cure.

Your symptoms are 'working out' your body, even as you sleep. In fact, try to recall when you most clearly sense your weight loss--it's probably in the morning as you awaken.

I learned about the value of sleep and work-out recovery accidentally after a shoulder sprain. My exercise was limited to mild walking for a few weeks. I had radiating pain down an arm and this kept me heading for bed shortly after I got home from work. I lost more pounds during that time than I had over two years of workouts. The weight loss was accelerated by the extra rest, not slowed by it!

I hope you feel better soon, and my best,

Cat

most doctors advise against working out when you're sick. however, it usually makes me feel better. it's been a really long time since i've been sick though. i don't really get sick. this is something you kinda have to know for your own body. i'd try to be safe though. i can't imagine running with a sore throat.

When you are sick, your body needs extra resources to fight the illness. If you're out physically stressing the body while sick, you can make yourself sicker or prolong the illness.

If it's just a cold, a leisurely walk wouldn't hurt, but anything that stresses the lungs or throat (like jogging) is out. I think yoga stretches would be fine, but if it's aerobic exercises that get you breathing hard, no.

Many people get addicted to exercise mentally, and ignore their body's cues that it is time to rest and heal. i wouldn't let a mental addiction overcome your body's need to recuperate.

Agreed. Take care of your body, it will take care of you.

I've been sick with a sinus infection for a few weeks and I've just been sticking to Pilates.

I would stick to something like Pilates or Yoga. I have to do some sort of movement for those endorphins! But most importantly, you must rest and recuperate your body. If you start feeling winded during the dvd, just stop for the day.

Archived