Metroprol and Social Anxiety (24hr timed-release beta blocker)

Hello, I have recently been diagnosed with a moderate case of social anxiety disorder. To describe my symptoms, whenever I am in a social situation, I get extreme anxiety. With good friends it is more mild: sweaty palms/armpits, tension, fast heartbeat, high blood pressure, cold hands and general discomfort. When I am in a new situation, it is horrible: panic attacks, hyperventilation, muscle spasms, profuse sweating all over my body, very high blood pressure, rapid heart beat, ice cold hands, etc.

When I am by myself, I have zero symptoms.

Anyway, I am 22 years old (male) and originally when I went to the doctor I was diagnosed with high blood pressure and put on a low dosage of a drug called Lisinopril. Eventually after visiting for a while my doctor said that he thinks I might have something called "White Coat Syndrome" which is sort of a phobia of doctors. I told him that I do have a phobia of doctors, but more than that of most social situations and I described my issues.

He just changed my medication to something called Metroprolol 50mg which is a 24 hour acting beta blocker. Something that blocks or slows receptors in the brain that initiate adrenaline in your body (I gather), supposedly able to stop my symptoms.

I was wondering if anyone who has anxiety problems has tried this or a similar beta blocker drug. Did it help? Any serious side effects? What are your general thoughts on it?

I'm about to start taking it today, but I would like a heads up. Thanks.

I've been prescribed propranolol on a very low dose - another slow release beta-blocker - initially to control my hand tremor. Then I started getting migraines (which I do every few years) and was told by my GP that a higher dose would act as a preventive, which it has done very successfully.

So I found out accidentally that they do wonderful things for stress and anxiety. I don't take them every day, but I've found that in situations where I needed to think clearly, I had no stressful intrusive thoughts and was able to keep calm and collected. I did once ask my GP if there were side effects - the only one I remember is that they can make your dreams more vivid - and whether they were habit-forming. Apparently they aren't, and I've never had any problems.

Hope you find this reassuring!

Sounds good. I took one today and I feel more relaxed (although I'm not sure if that is just in my mind). I'm going out with some friends later today, so I guess we will see how it works. I wonder, is it supposed to work immediately, or does it take weeks to begin having any serious impact?

And my doctor also told me there were no serious side-effects, unless you have certain medical problems like asthma, which I don't. He told me it wasn't addictive as well, so I would definitely prefer this over something like Valium, which is addictive and could dull my emotions/senses significantly.

Thanks for the input.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd love to know a cure.. I went to the doctors and answered all these questions, saw a therapist bla bla bla.. Realised i had social anxiety and depression. Was put onto anti depressants of some sort but took myself off them because i didnt feel like it was helping. Its horrible being around new people, unless your with someone you feel safe with. Its very hard making new friends and stops you doing alot of stuff you'd do without it. I cant even walk through town without worrying I'll bump into someone and have to talk

I'd love to know a cure.. I went to the doctors and answered all these questions, saw a therapist bla bla bla.. Realised i had social anxiety and depression. Was put onto anti depressants of some sort but took myself off them because i didnt feel like it was helping. Its horrible being around new people, unless your with someone you feel safe with. Its very hard making new friends and stops you doing alot of stuff you'd do without it. I cant even walk through town without worrying I'll bump into someone and have to talk

Ha ha, I am the same way sometimes. What is weird is that it isn't always like that, it is completely random. Sometimes I can meet new people, bump into people when I am out, etc and be perfectly fine and normal, but for no apparent reason, other times I just start freaking out.

It is really strange, depending on who you ask and when, I am either described as very social and friendly, or completely anti-social, standoff-ish, and quite.

Being on Metroprolol for a couple weeks, I can tell you that it has helped, but not very significantly. I am on a really low dosage though, so next time I go to my doctor in about a week, I'm going to ask if he can increase the amount. I feel like it is a bit easier to control my anxiety when I am on it -- the edge has been taken off my anxiety attacks, but it isn't to an optimum level yet.

I think I am fairly good at masking it though, the other day at work someone asked me if I ever get upset or nervous about anything, because I'm always so calm. It made me laugh and I was thinking, "I am always nervous and anxious."

You may want to ask your doctor about Beta-Blockers and see if it helps you any. I'll try to keep you updated if I get my dosage increased to let you know how it is working for me. Good luck.

Archived