Q for the guys: would you let your little sister date your best friend?

angela89
5 Signs of A Strong Friendship – ...
5 Signs of A Strong Friendship – Spotting A True Friend

I really like a good friend of my brother's! I've known him since i was 7, we're 4 years apart, and now i'm turning 20 and he's 24, the age gap isn't so strange anymore.

We talk a lot when he's over, and online, and have a bit in common.

But one time he (friend) puilled a prank on my brother and told him that him and I were kinda an item, my brother was flipping out like crazy!

Should I try to see if there can actually be a relationship here?

Yes, you can date whoever you want...but being 20, lets face it...odds are you'll break up with him at some point...which then leaves your brother in a bad situation. Personally, I don't think that's fair. There are a lot of other guys you can date...this just seems to be asking for a mess. I've read posts on here with similar situations.

I have the feeling most people will tell you to do what you want...but I still don't think it makes it right.

do what you want. your brother shouldn't be your source of happiness and drive in your life. you should be.

if i had a little sister and she wanted this, i'd tell my friend he does anything bad to her i break his face. that's all.

do what you want. your brother shouldn't be your source of happiness and drive in your life. you should be.

if i had a little sister and she wanted this, i'd tell my friend he does anything bad to her i break his face. that's all.

I completely understand people saying this....but I also think it's hard to say what you'd do/say/think/feel unless you really do have a younger sister.

Maybe I'm crazy...but I think when we're a little older, I'd feel more comfortable with it...only because a little older would mean they are more serious about settling down.

Most young people I know...from my area...just don't get married to the person they date when they are 20.

As an older brother, I wouldn't be happy with it for several reasons, one of which is that if the relationship doesn't last, it may strain the friendship, depending on the circumstances.

Well, if he's a real a******* to her, he's not that a great a friend and I'd drop him easily. But if they do turn into a married couple, imagine how strong the bond between the 2 families would be.

it would really depend on how i perceive my friend. @ 24, most of my friends were still chasing random girls a lot and would have hands off of a younger sister.

Exactly and that wouldn't have much if anything to do with the fact that he's my best friend, he could be anyone acting that way and I wouldn't be happy with such a guy dating my little sister.

So what if your sister and your friend wanted to just have a hook up? or they did it and told you after?

as long as he doesn't brag about it in front of our other friends or try and shove that in my face in someway, he'd be okay. again, if that happened, face breaking time.

Your brother may know things about this friend that would make him unsuitable for a boyfriend. Things that you may not know about... Listen to your brother!

I know many many guys that are great friends, but horrible boyfriends.

Yes, this is so true.

I have many close friends who are guys and are absolute cads!

The girls they go for, I don't know, so I keep to myself. But, I tend to keep those guys away from the girls that I'm friends with.

But, they are still great guys to hang around. I'd just never date them!

Well, if he's a real a******* to her, he's not that a great a friend and I'd drop him easily. But if they do turn into a married couple, imagine how strong the bond between the 2 families would be.

At the age in question, the odds of the relationship not working out are very high, particularly in major metro areas.

• 3 months later...

Well, i know its been awhile since i've started this thread...but...we're together now! Its only been 2 months, but things are going great!

Yes, my brother is a little weirded out by it, but its not so bad. He did react bitterly to the situation at first, but he says he's not against it.

Not sure how long things are going to last, but for now, we're just going with the flow.

Speaking for myself alone, I would never presume to tell a family member who they ought, or ought not date. If it made me uncomfortable for a particular reason, I would express that reason with tact. If it made me uncomfortable for no particular reason, I would get over it. I don't consider it my place to "let" or not let a sibling date any given person. The most I will do is to offer tactful counsel - if warranted.

I see it this way. If he is my best friend, I know what he is like. But, yes there is a but, what happens if the relationship goes sour? Possibility of loosing a friendship, a very long friendship. You have to weigh out the options and see is it really worth the risk?

Archived