Should the man order the food for him and his mate?

lovesickkk

English Conversation Practice - Ord...
English Conversation Practice - Ordering Food and Drinks

Quick question, when eating out at a restaurant, should the man ask his woman what she would like to eat, and then tell the waiter what they will both be eating? Or should he let the waiter take the woman's order and then take his order?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Quick question, when eating out at a restaurant, should the man ask his woman what she would like to eat, and then tell the waiter what they will both be eating?

I do this sometimes. Can't say that it makes a difference.

How is it controlling if she still decides what she wants to eat, I'm just delivering the message to the server....

dragon lady, thats what i told my gf, I told her you always tweak your order, so I think it's best if you order for yourself......

How is it controlling if she still decides what she wants to eat, I'm just delivering the message to the server....

dragon lady, thats what i told my gf, I told her you always tweak your order, so I think it's best if you order for yourself......

Not you specifically. Just in general.

If she's like me, then she should probably order it herself. It's kind of hard to tell you and then have you tell the waiter that you want the pasta with no cheese, no meat, substitute the mushrooms and have the sauce on the side. It's like Chinese whispers. It never comes out right in the end and I have to tell them myself anyway.

I wonder why it's polite for the man to let the lady order first? it's not like they don't bring the food out at the same time

i'm not sure why, but i also know that when seating people, the host/hostess is supposed to give the women their menus first as well *shrugs*

on the subject though, i think it's what works for your situation. amusingly enough, my husband and i do the opposite, he decides what he wants and then tells me so i can order for him. he also likes to tweak his order so some days it's pretty confusing because i am also trying to order food my toddler will eat and i'm also picky

It's pretty old fashioned. As DN mentioned that used to be the way of things but it's much more appropriate to simply let the woman order first. There are always relationships though where the partners agree among themselves how to do it. As long as both people are fine with it then that's the right way for them.

Quick question, when eating out at a restaurant, should the man ask his woman what she would like to eat, and then tell the waiter what they will both be eating? Or should he let the waiter take the woman's order and then take his order?

I think its kinda cute when older couples do this... I'm waaaay too much of a control freak to ever let anyone order for me though.

While I don't think I would care if he always let me order first, I'd rather order for myself. I think it might be fun in a situation where you're down south at a resort on vacation or something. But if we're ordering at a family restaurant for a simple supper then no.

Archived