How do I get better at taking negative feedback, and having my mistakes pointed out?

Mariahee

Recently I realized that i'm not good at taking criticism. Im 17 and have been doing an internship at a clinic. I would notice that, whenever the staff would say i'm doing something wrong I get mad at them or get embarassed at my mistake.

For example, my sponsor at the clinic did my intern evaluation, and instead of looking at the seven 5 out of 5's that I received, I strayed on the negative scores and comments, and thinking that my sponsor totally hated me and was mean. After about 10 mins I realized that I shouldn't take so much offence at constructive criticism because I will receive it alot in my lifetime, and I should learn from it.

My question is, how common is my problem, and how can I do something about it.

Feedback is much appreciated =)

I think its pretty common. Taking offense at criticism is a common problem today. There is nothing wrong with embarrassment though; how else can you fix mistakes without feeling stupid on occasion! Whenever I get angry or feel insulted now, I just remember that I have room to improve and that those people are helping me do it. Maybe handling criticism just comes with experience. That's how I found my way to handle it.

It depends on the nature of the criticism. If they say "This isn't good BECAUSE...", realize that nowhere in there do they say anything about you. They're talking about the work you've done.

When I was in drawing class in college, my professor would flat-out say "This sucks." Literally, just like that. At first I equated that in my head with "YOU suck", but that wasn't the case. In fact, me and him got along well.

And if someone says "This sucks" and gives you no reason why, ask them why. Like you said, it helps make you a better person. And if they can't give you a reason why, they're likely saying it because they're jealous, which renders the criticism invalid anyway.

5 Ways To Become More Self-Accepting
5 Ways To Become More Self-Accepting

Archived