Shoulder Pain

I play old man softball.

Haven't played in a few weeks but had a game this weekend and woke up Sunday with a pretty sore shoulder.

I'm a bit concerend because the pain feels similair to when I partially tore my rotator cuff...but that was the other shoulder...and this pain seems to be more on the side of my shoulder.

I'm not really sure what I did...throwing to much after not throwing for weeks? Sliding hard (head first) into second? Regardless it is sore.

Besides not playing/resting....what is best for it? Ice/heat? Stretching/rubbing it?

Aspirin helps....but at what point is a reasonable point to see a doctor? It's only been a few days...

As ghost suggested, give it another day or two, and if it's still not any better, you probably have an injury that warrants medical attention.

I've definitely had all sorts of minor injuries that I was able to rehab myself, but those sorts of things usually start to feel somewhat better within a few days of the injury.

it hasn't been 48 hours yet. i'd wait a bit more. maybe after the holiday.

I hope this doesn't keep me from playing beer pong and cornhole on the 4th

Seriously though, I have some time to rest it...so I'll give it until next week.

I get banged up quite a bit myself. My shoulder just worries me because of my previous injury (on the other shoulder) and know how long it took to heal.

Amazing I can play hockey all last season and not get hurt...yet old man softball, I get hurt all the time...

funky bicep tear maybe. i know you'll say "but the pain is not on my bicep." maybe not, but the bicep isn't just that cool lump on the upper arm. i detatched mine playing baseball (catcher...i short arm snap threw to first and *pow*...it did feel alot like a rotator pain (did it...got ragdolled in a hockey fight and tore the rotator)...tylenol will make the pain subside, but it doesn't just go away. surgery sucked along with the year of rehab, but i can pitch to my son today...my fastball is HEAT! oh yeah, my son is six.

i had a bad shoulder injury and it still gives me trouble. i'm on the fence about shoulder surgery as i know there is only like a 30% chance they can fix it. doesn't bother me that much yet.

I had the tear in my rotator cuff on my right shoulder. Doctors pretty much said it was right on the line of whether it was worth getting surgery or not and told me they were leaning against it...so I let it heal on it's own...took a good year. I have to be pretty careful with it and back off when it start getting sore.

Luckily, I'm left handed. However this recent injury is on my left shoulder...but I'm thinking/hoping it's not nearly as bad. I don't want to get it to that point though..so I'm being very cautious with it.

Amazing how many times I've gone crashing into people/boards with it..and never seriously hurt it, but I get hurt doing simpler things...though I'm sure previous bangs and bumps add up.

What kind of pain is yours? Limit your movements?

my arm is like robotic now. i can reach almost my entire back now, it clicks, it can move backwards farther than my other one, it nonstop feels like it's hung up and i have to adjust it constantly (might be in my head) and for some odd reason, it's stronger than my other. and no, it's not the arm that i use for writing and everything.

Ya, the clicking...I get that too.

Right now I can reach my back, it's more something like doing this would hurt like hell:

image removed

(I don't look like that)

Sucked when I hurt my right shoulder because it was before hockey season. I shoot righty, so I'd have to lift that shoulder to shoot and I just couldn't. The 12 year old's were shooting harder then me...

^^^that hurts me sometimes too. it gets really achy in my cuff.

I still don't lift much that way....but when I was rehabbing it (on my own) at the gym...it was kind of funny seeing these women weighing 105 pounds soaking wet lifting more then me.

my arm is like robotic now. i can reach almost my entire back now, it clicks, it can move backwards farther than my other one, it nonstop feels like it's hung up and i have to adjust it constantly (might be in my head) and for some odd reason, it's stronger than my other. and no, it's not the arm that i use for writing and everything.

Labrum tear?

Labrum tear?

honestly i couldn't tell you. the injury i had was my arm got slammed really hard against my body at the joint area. so...

some things i do that are symmetrical in movement, the one arm looks like it's off by a bit. least i notice.

honestly i couldn't tell you. the injury i had was my arm got slammed really hard against my body at the joint area. so...

some things i do that are symmetrical in movement, the one arm looks like it's off by a bit. least i notice.

Look up the symptoms of a torn labrum. Could be a minor tear. Lots of people get minor tears and don't even realize it b/c they can still function pretty normally.

wow diabolik, that sounds a lot like what i have. maybe i should get it checked out. says it can be fixed without surgery mostly. it almost feels like a nerve keeps getting hung up.

I don't know a whole lot about them, but yeah, orthopedic surgeons usually don't operate on small tears b/c your body can heal them with time. But I think it depends not just on the size of the tear, but where on the labrum it is.

Again, depending on where it is, I think people advise against pressing while it heals (bench, overhead pressing). Do you get clicking when you overhead press?

I don't know a whole lot about them, but yeah, orthopedic surgeons usually don't operate on small tears b/c your body can heal them with time. But I think it depends not just on the size of the tear, but where on the labrum it is.

Again, depending on where it is, I think people advise against pressing while it heals (bench, overhead pressing). Do you get clicking when you overhead press?

not really. only if i do a complete rotation of my arm. also, when i do the complete rotation, it has a different range than my other arm.

this was also like from 6 years ago, soo....

• 2 weeks later...

A tad better, but this still hurts. It's not excruciating...but I suppose I should see a doctor?

Just annoying, because I'm almost positive they'll just tell me to let it heal on it's own...meanwhile I'll have to take time off of work and pay all the co-payments

Archived