What is arrogance?

EJRG

Hi,

I've been called arrogant, but I'm having a problem actually getting a definition of what arrogance actually is. I've Googled and that has helped, but I still don't understand what arrogance is? Words like hubris and excessive pride are used, but I'm having a problem getting an idea of what actually is arrogance (can people give me an idea - examples). I've been told "I don't suffer fools gladly " that could be considered arrogance - but is that necessarily bad?

Edmund

Someone who is arrogant thinks that they are superior to others and that the world has to bow down and kiss their feet. Arrogant people are often selfish people whose acts of kindness are not done from the heart but more out of a sense of wanting others to ooh and aah over them and give them recognition in the form of powerful positions etc. Arrogant people view others simply as pawns for getting what they want. Arrogant people want to be served but do not want to serve others unless something is in it for them. Arrogant people think that what others have to say or how they feel is not important.

Hi,

I've been called arrogant, but I'm having a problem actually getting a definition of what arrogance actually is. I've Googled and that has helped, but I still don't understand what arrogance is? Words like hubris and excessive pride are used, but I'm having a problem getting an idea of what actually is arrogance (can people give me an idea - examples). I've been told "I don't suffer fools gladly " that could be considered arrogance - but is that necessarily bad?

Edmund

so you have a negative quality. which person alive does not?

Next time somebody calls you arrogant, just highlight a negative quality of theirs.

so you have a negative quality. which person alive does not?

Next time somebody calls you arrogant, just highlight a negative quality of theirs.

The problem I am having, is that it was a mental health professional that said it to me - someone I thought I could trust to help me - all he has done is destroy my confidence in anything I have done over the last few years in trying to get better. I now second guess everything that I think and do - I feel shattered and betrayed - I still don't understand why someone in their position would say such a thing. I was fragile when he said I was arrogant - now I feel desolate and hurt.

The problem I am having, is that it was a mental health professional that said it to me - someone I thought I could trust to help me -.

He probably WAS trying to help you by making you aware that you are arrogant, so that you could work to change it and thereby, better yourself.

He probably WAS trying to help you by making you aware that you are arrogant, so that you could work to change it and thereby, better yourself.

Very true - but his timing sucked majorly.

I have a friend that a lot of my other friends don't like. They call him arrogant. When I ask why they say that, they expand on it by saying he's aloof, makes snide comments, and generally seems to think he's too cool for everyone else.

I agree that the mental health professional could have worded it better. But it is good feedback, overall, if it's something that's holding you back in life. Just try to take the good from it (an opportunity to be more self-aware and change) and leave the hurt behind, if you can.

I have a friend that a lot of my other friends don't like. They call him arrogant. When I ask why they say that, they expand on it by saying he's aloof, makes snide comments, and generally seems to think he's too cool for everyone else.

I agree that the mental health professional could have worded it better. But it is good feedback, overall, if it's something that's holding you back in life. Just try to take the good from it (an opportunity to be more self-aware and change) and leave the hurt behind, if you can.

He also said I was aloof - yes I can be but, not because I am arrogant, I'm aloof because I don't feel comfortable with other people, I feel anxious, nervous, uncomfortable and scared (I'm feeling that now just writing about it and I've started to cry)(I believe it is called social anxiety disorder and from reading the Net have learned that it is quite common for people who have been bullied at school). I don't think I'm to cool for other people, until very recently I have believed I was inferior to other people (I didn't deserve a good job, a girlfriend.....), now I'm beginning to believe I'm not that different from anyone else. If that's arrogance then I think I would rather be dead.

98+ Best Arrogance Quotes
98+ Best Arrogance Quotes

Archived