volunteer work

I've been thinking of doing volunteer work for a while now. I don't want to go into my reasons too much but I knew someone once that ended up homeless and alone though, in my opinion, no fault of their own. Anyway, I won't get into all that.

My question is directed at people that have done this before. There is an organisation in the city where I live that do this and I am eligible and able to volunteer for a few hours a week but I'm just wondering, what can i expect?

The work I'm thinking of doing is a "soup run" in the evenings. I know the general stuff but I'm un-sure as to what it actually is in practice. I think this is a good idea, for me as much as anyone else. Any advice?

If I were independently wealthy.... I'd volunteer instead of work.. there are a plethora of places you can volunteer. If you are interested in one particular place already.. call them and talk to the volunteer coordinator and ask them to explain, in detail, what would be involved.

Good for you!

I help out during holidays at the soup kitchen. You either make something and bring it, help make the food they have there, or serve. I know with the people I do it with, you can also work up front and give nametags and assign beds to the homeless people when they check in. At a certain time, they let the homeless people in, and you serve them, chat with them, whatever.

I've had a few times where there was a homeless guy I'd seen a couple cities away, and they'd walk in that night. After talking to them, you see them in a different light. I remember thinking: "He has a name!". Not like I thought that little of them, but little things you don't really think about people in passing all of a sudden come to you. They're people like everyone else, some hard on their luck, some on the streets by their own addictions or whatever. But for that period of time, it seems all of that is put aside and you care more about them after that than ever.

yeah volunteer work for me has turned out great. I went on a trip where we lived in the homeless shelters with the families and helped babysit and cook. it was amazing! you learn so much. Just give it a chance, they have such great stories and such wisdom that anyone could benefit from.

Archived