Getting Discouraged...

This might be somewhat of a rant, so I apologize in advance.

For about the past two years or so, I’ve wanted to be a Police Officer. I graduated college with an information technology degree and ever since I’ve entered the business world my mind has been on becoming an Officer. It sometimes faded, but never went away. My parents weren’t very warm about the idea when I was 17-18 (I’m 25 now) so I abandoned it.

I took the Civil Service tests last November for several of the local departments. I received my results about 4 months later and passed with an 80%. I was now on the lists to possibly be called by a department. Fast forward to about 3 weeks ago I received a letter from one of the local departments for a physical test that must be passed before you move farther into the process. (I have been training for this test for the last 8 months or so and got into the necessary shape to pass). I arrived early that day and passed everything and it felt so good because only 3 of us passed out of 18. So I was in the running for the position at the local department. (There was two spots). The chief congradulated us and said we would be called for Oral Board interviews with the city. I then received a call two days later stating I was being put on hold because Civil Service put me on the wrong list. (Aparently there is a residents list, that if you live directly in the city you get first spot on the department, well I was accidently put on that list and they apologized and said I would be put on hold).

I was so discouraged, New York is an awful state to try to become an officer and tests are only given once every 2-3 years. It’s very depressing as I’ve been trying to chase my dream. I have debated moving out of state and its tough with my house and being away from family. It’s very sad when you go to work everyday and dislike your job and your dream job is just out of your grasp…

Sorry for the rant.

I can definitely relate. I want to be a firefighter and have taken a few tests here and there. Like NY, most departments give a test every 2-3 years if not longer, and most departments want paramedics, so I've got awhile before I get there. 2,000 to 3,000 applicants for 3-12 jobs, I know it can seem very out of reach.

Look at it this way, even if something falls through and you have to test again there or somewhere else, most people don't get as far as you have. Obtaining the job is definitely within your reach. I know how discouraging it is, and as cliche as I may sound, our dreams and our integrity are really all we have. Don't give up.

Tired Of Being Broke? Lose your Pov...
Tired Of Being Broke? Lose your Poverty Programming

Archived