Teens not using contraception

IphigeniaSaysHi

Did Free Birth Control in Colorado ...
Did Free Birth Control in Colorado Drop Unplanned Pregnancies by 40 Percent?

I just read an article on the eNA main page about teenagers using contraception 10% less now than they did between 1991 and 2003.

Why do you think this is???

I would think, though I am obviously naive, that people would be catching the hint that condoms can actually save lives by preventing aids, unwanted pregnancies and other issues.

Just found this shocking. Thoughts?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just read an article on the eNA main page about teenagers using contraception 10% less now than they did between 1991 and 2003.

Why do you think this is???

I would think, though I am obviously naive, that people would be catching the hint that condoms can actually save lives by preventing aids, unwanted pregnancies and other issues.

Just found this shocking. Thoughts?

pregnancy isn't considered a big deal anymore.

seriously, I can tell you that in my town..half of the teen girls in the high school are pregnant..and every single one of my female friends are currently expecting, no lie.

When I was having sex as a teenager, I rarely used condoms. Some of that time I wasn't on the pill either. I had the mindset of "it won't happen to me", even after a few pregnancy scares. I was naïve and obviously too young to be having sex.

pregnancy isn't considered a big deal anymore.

seriously, I can tell you that in my town..half of the teen girls in the high school are pregnant..and every single one of my female friends are currently expecting, no lie.

Ugh. What? Maybe in your town...

Seriously, the last thing on the average American youth's mind in college and highschool is to have babies.

One of my friends (22) rarely uses any birth control methods. She told me that if something happens where she feels she needs it, she can always just get the morning after pill. It's 40 bucks and easy to get. The logic is a little screwy...

I think a lot of people now have the "it would never happen to me" attitude, especially teens

Ugh. What? Maybe in your town...

Seriously, the last thing on the average American youth's mind in college and highschool is to have babies.

I was speaking about my town, thanks. I didn't say every town in the world. Anyway..teens who use birth control pills and condoms usually aren't taught how to use them properly. I feel that's why teen pregnancy is on the rise.

I was speaking about my town, thanks. I didn't say every town in the world. Anyway..teens who use birth control pills and condoms usually aren't taught how to use them properly. I feel that's why teen pregnancy is on the rise.

It is true, you were right. The article even said pregnancy is on the rise by 5%. It's happening in MANY towns.

Even the discussions about pregnancy pacts in high school have been all over the news the past couple years.

One of my friends (22) rarely uses any birth control methods. She told me that if something happens where she feels she needs it, she can always just get the morning after pill. It's 40 bucks and easy to get. The logic is a little screwy...

I think a lot of people now have the "it would never happen to me" attitude, especially teens

I think bc HIV isnt talked about as much these days, ppl think the scare is over.

I didnt see a link for the article but is this prodominately in lower class neighborhoods?

^Tell her "There isn't a Morning After Pill for AIDS, honey!!!!"

UGH people don't think sometimes.

I think I described just about every bad thing that could happen to her, and she just isn't worried...that is until after she has sex. Then the paranoia sets in, she swears she will never have unprotected sex again, and then the paranoia fades and a few weeks later she repeats the whole scenario. I do not get it.

I'd be interested to know what these people are thinking. Is it that if they get away with it once so they'll always get away with it?? I personally think that the odds are just closing in on them each time.

I think I described just about every bad thing that could happen to her, and she just isn't worried...that is until after she has sex. Then the paranoia sets in, she swears she will never have unprotected sex again, and then the paranoia fades and a few weeks later she repeats the whole scenario. I do not get it.

I'd be interested to know what these people are thinking. Is it that if they get away with it once so they'll always get away with it?? I personally think that the odds are just closing in on them each time.

There is no need to be paranoid, just safe! Bummer. Hopefully she understands soon and doesn't learn the hard way.

Black doesnt necessarily mean lower class....

Nope, there are plenty of affluent black people. Sadly, though, the minorities tend to face the most poverty in our country.

There are tons of poor white people, especially in the south. But like grey said, the proportions are skewed.

Archived