Eating fruits and vegetables...

High Protein-Low Carb Diet (Day 3)
High Protein-Low Carb Diet (Day 3)

I keep hearing of the benefits, so when I am aware I try to count 5 portions of fruits/vegetables a day. But sometimes I slip and eat 0 in a day

Anyway I was thinking of increasing my count to 7-9 if I can. Just making sure if my 'counting' is accurate.

Here is an example of a day where I have been careful with counting

(This is counting my fruit/veggies only. It is not my whole diet)

Say I have 4-5 pieces of dried fruit in the morning (1)

A banana - or some other fruit (1)

Lunch- small green salad with a tomato (2)

Snack celery - or another fruit (1)

Dinner - small salad with tomato + some cooked vegetable (asparagus, peas etc) (3)

Does that make sense? Also by dinner time if I know I have missed my daytime vegetables, does it still help if I eat my vegetable in a larger portion? Say a much larger portion of asparagus instead of a normal portion? Does quantity count towards the portion or is it merely variety that counts?!

the 5 a day thing is an immense waste of time to be honest.

All it's trying to portray is a healither way to fill you up, and to ensure you're getting all the vitamins that fresh vegetables (/fruit) provide.

There's really no point in counting them - just eat what you want to and bear in mind that eating healthily is more of a concern than the number of vegetables you can get in you in one day. Just make sure you're full with 'good' things not junk food.

I would recommend vitamin supplements to ensure that even if you have a vegetable free day every so often it really wont matter.

RE: post though, yes the way you're looking at portions looks ok, but again - really don't get caught up in the 'omg i only ate 4 i better have 6 tomorrow' mindset.... it really isn't supposed to be like that.

Thanks, I see what you mean. But whether it is important or not, it is something that makes me aware and makes me make better choices. If I don't 'count' I slip into a worse and worse diet everyday. So I think I should 'count' religiously until I am actually in a habit of a healthier lifestyle. I have just started being aware of these things. So I am not naturally used to it. The way I was raised my whole family had awful eating habits, so this is all really new to me. Does that make sense?

Like asparagus for instance. It says one portion is 5 spears. When I eat it, I eat at least 10 (usually more). Sop that wouldn't count as 2 servings? Not to say I eat asparagus every night, but when I do, for most of the cooked veggies, I eat in larger portions than what is described here.

If you are eating a double portion of something then why would you only count it as one, not two. That doesn't make sense to me. At any rate I agree with tux not to get too hung up on counting fruits and vegetables servings every day. As long as for the most part you are getting the variety and quantity then don't worry about it. Summer is the best time for fruit because of the peaches, nectarines, plums etc. Berries are also very good fruits from a health perspective.

I personally count them as 2 servings as opposed to one. I suppose it depends what is your goal. If it's to eat more fruits and veggies, it won't hurt to count it as two. I thought it was 8-10 servings of fruits and veggies daily. (which would be counted as 2)

A lot of the veggie's 1 portion is only 1/2 cup where you'd normally think it would be 1 cup. Maybe that's just me though =D. Or if you have an entire sweet potato it counts as 2 as opposed to one.

If you are aiming for more varied fruits and veggies then maybe count as one.

I personally count them as 2 servings as opposed to one. I suppose it depends what is your goal. If it's to eat more fruits and veggies, it won't hurt to count it as two. I thought it was 8-10 servings of fruits and veggies daily. (which would be counted as 2)

A lot of the veggie's 1 portion is only 1/2 cup where you'd normally think it would be 1 cup. Maybe that's just me though =D. Or if you have an entire sweet potato it counts as 2 as opposed to one.

If you are aiming for more varied fruits and veggies then maybe count as one.

Potato doesn't count!

On a side note, most american bananas (the ones we import) are more like 2 serving sizes because of how large they are.

Most serving sizes are a lot smaller than people think. A 12 oz steak is 3 times the serving size. Yet, that is considered a small steak at most restaurants.

I also agree with whoever said that as long as you eat mostly veggies and fruits, serving size really doesn't matter. Some days you just won't eat that much and some days you're going to party with the family and eat 10 servings of green beans.

The important thing is to continuously make healthy choices.

Potato doesn't count!

Sweet potatoes usually do count in the guides though =)

link removed

It's a pretty good root vegetable - though I guess there is the whole carb vs. veggie debate about them. I would definetly include them!

Are their nutrients dried up as well or something? =)

It depends on what you want.. if you're just looking for weight loss then yes... otherwise I think they are fine? Unless the process of dehydration makes them lose nutritional value?

Are their nutrients dried up as well or something? =)

It depends on what you want.. if you're just looking for weight loss then yes... otherwise I think they are fine? Unless the process of dehydration makes them lose nutritional value?

They have basically no nurtitional value. Just empty calories. Low in calories but still nothing more than calories.

You are better off popping tic tacs than snacking on dried fruit. Or, eating fresh fruit.

They have basically no nurtitional value. Just empty calories. Low in calories but still nothing more than calories.

You are better off popping tic tacs than snacking on dried fruit. Or, eating fresh fruit.

It adds fiber to the diet though.

Not all of them have preservatives. I am eating sun dried apricots for instance.

*sigh* i never said all.

i suggest eating an undried apricot, getting full off of maybe 2 and it will help rather than eating tons of dried ones.

Archived