Can you get PTSD from an emotionally abusive relationship?

You know its over 2 years for me. I would say Im pretty well healed now but I look back. I used to tell friends and family that I felt like I survived something, the relationship with her. Now I have had other relationships end and I do the usual grieving for 6 months. Then go out and date up a storm and just have fun. This one was almost 2 years of healing. I had to dissect the relationship, figure it out. She was very emotionally abusive and physical with me one time. Mostly though the kick to the self esteem and confidence. The I love you to death and would die without you one day and then the telling you you never measure up the next. Ive had people tell me in the past that I could have aquired PTSD of some form from this relationship. In reading up on it over the past couple weeks, it is uncanny how I feel or felt and the DSM for the disorder. How I really felt like I wasnt going to come out of this one. Not just depression, way more than that. Is it possible?

Yep, I had some complex PTSD from my abusive relationship. It had its roots elsewhere but the relationship became a major trigger due to his abusive behavior. Try some of the therapy techniques used for PTSD sufferers and see if it helps - EFT worked for me.

No, I don't think that you can. I think that you can have a lot of trauma, but post traumatic stress disorder is very specific, and I don't think it's appropriate in this instance.

According to the Royal College of Psychiatrists, you can get a thing called complex PTSD from relationships, but this is applied to peoplewho have repeatedly experienced severe neglect, abuse or violence as an adulte, eg torture, abusive imprisonment. I don't think that's what you're describing.

You should definitely seek help and talk this through with someone, because it's clearly impacting on your life. But I don't think it's PTSD, and I don't think self-diagnosing with this is especially helpful.

I hope you get the help and support you need to get through this.

I'm sorry. But I've been in combat. And I've been in an abusive relationship. There is no meaningful comparison between the two. A 'professional' who diagnoses such cannot and does not know what he or she is talking about.

PTSD diagnoses are normally restricted to those that have experienced serious, uncontrolled, indefinite, and chaotic major violence including profound and extended noise, inability to escape the situation and physical violence that you cannot imagine unless you've been in it.

Abusive relationships are horrible and produce profound psychological problems. But to define those as a result of PTSD is to denigrate what happens to people whoe are involved in prolonged and catastrophic violence.

Raoul

I'm sorry. But I've been in combat. And I've been in an abusive relationship. There is no meaningful comparison between the two. A 'professional' who diagnoses such cannot and does not know what he or she is talking about.

PTSD diagnoses are normally restricted to those that have experienced serious, uncontrolled, indefinite, and chaotic major violence including profound and extended noise, inability to escape the situation and physical violence that you cannot imagine unless you've been in it.

Abusive relationships are horrible and produce profound psychological problems. But to define those as a result of PTSD is to denigrate what happens to people whoe are involved in prolonged and catastrophic violence.

Raoul

And I'm the daughter of two military officers, both of whom served in combat overseas. Trust me, I know what PTSD is, and I know what complex PTSD is. I'm not throwing around pop psychology terms. There is a long history behind this but yes, my ex did become a trigger. He is not the root cause.

My root cause is not for discussion here, I'm simply stating that abusive relationships can become triggers because I'm living proof of that.

If they are the trigger.....Then what can be the root cause??

In my case it way far pre-dated the relationship. From what you described, you may not have complex PTSD even though the symptoms may sound similar on paper.

You would probably know if there was a root cause linked to this because major trauma isn't usually unknown unless it's something that happened in childhood and you've blanked it out of your memory. That's why I'm thinking it's not PTSD in your case, but rather having trouble healing from a bad relationship.

Archived