How should i ask about taking time off in a new job?

I have just started a new job about a week ago after being made redundant at my previous job. Company closed and it was unexpected. Everyone was made redundant

I have holidays planned in dec/jan for about 4-5 weeks. (6 if possible but i know its pushing it).When it was arranged/planned i didn't forsee the company closing.

they did not ask me at the interview.

whats the best way of approaching the new employer about this?

i dont care if this time off is paid. By the time the holiday is id have worked there for 6 months, so would have accured a bit of leave. My postion is receptionist at the company so it would be possible to get a temp in.

do i come out and say that i have holidays planned for this time of the year?

thanks for any advice.

I have just started a new job about a week ago after being made redundant at my previous job. Company closed and it was unexpected. Everyone was made redundant

I have holidays planned in dec/jan for about 4-5 weeks. (6 if possible but i know its pushing it).When it was arranged/planned i didn't forsee the company closing.

they did not ask me at the interview.

whats the best way of approaching the new employer about this?

i dont care if this time off is paid. By the time the holiday is id have worked there for 6 months, so would have accured a bit of leave. My postion is receptionist at the company so it would be possible to get a temp in.

do i come out and say that i have holidays planned for this time of the year?

thanks for any advice.

As far as taking a week vacation I think should wait atleast a year. The holiday season in December I don't think it's a problem to request a day or two off

To be honest you should have told them this at the interview. All you can do now is ask but be prepared if they say no. That is a popular time of year for holidays and as a newbie you will not be at the top of the line.

To be honest you should have told them this at the interview. All you can do now is ask but be prepared if they say no. That is a popular time of year for holidays and as a newbie you will not be at the top of the line.

Agree, but there is a drawback.

Do it when you are offered the job. If you tell them "I need a week off for the holiday," then you can risk not being hired. If the business is short staffed they cannot afford new employees to take off. Or if there's seniority with the employees, they may expect the new employees to work the holidays and give the coworkers who have worked for years the days they want. This is why you research a company before applying for it. Good luck.

thanks but i dont fully agree with you. Yeah i could have said but i may have RISKED not getting the job. And they didn't ask.

its a small office of about 5 people. Im reception, its not like im this major part they can't do with out. Someone has already booked of februay. another new person wants all of may off.. its only a few months difference.

We do close for a week at christmas... BUT, in some ways i see that a new employer should some what expect that new employees MAY have holidays pre-booked. I wasn't fired. it was totally 100% out of my hands what happened so i cou;ldn't predict it.

thanks but i dont fully agree with you. Yeah i could have said but i may have RISKED not getting the job. And they didn't ask.

its a small office of about 5 people. Im reception, its not like im this major part they can't do with out. Someone has already booked of februay. another new person wants all of may off.. its only a few months difference.

We do close for a week at christmas... BUT, in some ways i see that a new employer should some what expect that new employees MAY have holidays pre-booked. I wasn't fired. it was totally 100% out of my hands what happened so i cou;ldn't predict it.

No new employee should be taking off a week in the first 6 months

No new employee should be taking off a week in the first 6 months

And why is that?

Ive always been under the impressing that when a employer hires someone new they must be somewhat aware that this person MAY have stuff planned in months to come.

By that statement, in this day and age, you never no how long your job will last so what, you can never plan a holiday in fear that u may loose ur job and have to start somewhere new and god forbid, u cant ask for time off?

Another employee who is also new is plannign to take 4 weeks of about 3 months after me. If i dont do it in the months i have planned, i wont be able to until late next year as other people have holidays. And there are certain times where it is more busy than others BUT when i have planned it is the QUIET time.

And why is that?

Ive always been under the impressing that when a employer hires someone new they must be somewhat aware that this person MAY have stuff planned in months to come.

By that statement, in this day and age, you never no how long your job will last so what, you can never plan a holiday in fear that u may loose ur job and have to start somewhere new and god forbid, u cant ask for time off?

Another employee who is also new is plannign to take 4 weeks of about 3 months after me. If i dont do it in the months i have planned, i wont be able to until late next year as other people have holidays. And there are certain times where it is more busy than others BUT when i have planned it is the QUIET time.

I'm talking about requesting it when you are at the job 6 months. Letting them know ahead of time is something different.

I'm talking about requesting it when you are at the job 6 months. Letting them know ahead of time is something different.

Oh well yeah, if you ask just before you want to go, no company is gonna let you - even if you've been there for years!

Update. Asked bosses, they all seemed perfectly okay with taking 5 weeks off. ... im kinda suprised and shocked! lol... but its great...

Oh well yeah, if you ask just before you want to go, no company is gonna let you - even if you've been there for years!

Update. Asked bosses, they all seemed perfectly okay with taking 5 weeks off. ... im kinda suprised and shocked! lol... but its great...

Good for you. I'm glad everything worked out.

BTW, I have done that before, just ask right before I go on vacation and not have had problems with that. It depends on your boss.

Archived