I am underweight and probably undernourished as well. I am concerned that my body is lacking some essential vitamins and am considering starting a vitamin supplement. The only foods I eat on a regular basis are: oatmeal, bananas, omelettes, whole wheat bread, soups, salad and pasta. I can't afford to buy produce such as chicken (same goes for fish), and I don't eat red meat.

Can anyone recommend a vitamin or multi-vitamin that would be of benefit for someone (like me) who is most likely not getting the proper nutrients from diet? I am feeling weak.

Food is usually cheaper than vitamins. But from the looks of it, I would worry about your calcium intake more than anything else. Your list there have close to none.

In nutrition classes, they don't teach people how to body build. They're more worried about the rapid rate of obesity in developed world than underweight individuals. But it seems to me like you should increase proportions in everything you listed to increase weight. You see, multivitamins are basically categorized under nutrients and micronutrients. But what you need to build is Carbon sources which can only be found in macronutrients categorized as carbohydrate, fat, and protein. These 3 macronutrients are the building blocks of all your tissues, so if you get multivitamins, it wont do you any good. Grains products such as whole wheat bread, proteins such as omelette and meat , and fats such as meat / milk, are the only sources that will determine whether your weight increase or decrease.

And no, I wouldn't promote protein powder because your body chemistry will become imbalanced and your body will be susceptible to becoming acidic. It's just not a healthy choice, but a lot of guys are drawn to it because they see it as a shortcut to body building.

If your body is lacking in a vitamin or so, a multivitamin may not have enough of those vitamins to make up for the deficiency. Say if you have low calcium, a multivitamin would not have enough of the daily calcium you would need. You should go to a doctor, get a simple blood test done, and see if you are lacking in anything. For myself, I have low vitamin D, so my doctor recommended 800-1000IU of vitamin D per day. Multivitamins usually carry about 100-250IU of vitamin D. MUCH less than I would need. When I bought a separate pack of vitamin D3 tablets, it only cost me $3.99 as opposed to the $15-20 for multivitamins, which would have been much less effective for me.

98 pounds

What kinds of protein could you suggest? Thank you.

98. That is alarming. How tall are you?

I am not a nutritionist but I think you need to eat meat/chicken/fish etc. Canned tuna fish (and other fish) could be a relatively cheaper option to add to your diet. Also canned chicken might be cheap. I don't think they would be much more expensive than vegetables. Would you consider that? Also if I am not wrong some beans have protein, they are also cheap usually.

98. That is alarming. How tall are you?

I am not a nutritionist but I think you need to eat meat/chicken/fish etc. Canned tuna fish (and other fish) could be a relatively cheaper option to add to your diet. Also canned chicken might be cheap. I don't think they would be much more expensive than vegetables. Would you consider that? Also if I am not wrong some beans have protein, they are also cheap usually.

I know, I am alarmed, believe me. Luckily, I am on the petite side being only 5'4, but I know I need to gain at least 10 pounds. Tuna fish is a good idea, thank you.

I'm a naturopath in training and have a good background in nutrition so will do the best I can to answer your question.

A mutil vitamin is a good option when there is some form of malnourishment.

But, these sorts of manufactured vitamins are not well absorbed when the body is not balanced.

Also, there are many elements in a multi vitamins that the body doesnt' need.

The best way to get nutrition is with food.

You can eat a whole grain pasta (not expensive), brown rice, nuts, beans, quinoa (google it, it's a sort of grain that is LOADED with vitamins and protein), frozen veggies (very inexpensive when on sale, stock up).

You can also check at your grocery store when meats go 50% off when they've expired that same day. You can cook them and eat, cook and freeze or just freeze until ready to use.

Sweet potatoes are not costly and again, are loaded with nutrience.

Do you smoke and or drink?

Are you a heavy coffee or soda drinker?

I love salmon, but it is over my budget, unfortunately. I wish market fish was more affordable.

Try canned wild salmon, cheap and it's actually better than buying fresh since fresh is usually farmed salmon. Also the canned salmon I've been buying is from Alaska and from what I've read there are no mercury contamination concerns in fish from that area.

Archived