Cracking

I have been noticing a lot of cracking going on in my body. Sometimes when I walk or go up steps I hear many tiny cracking sounds in my feet. Other times I hear a loud crack in my arm or shoulder when I move. When I lift weights I hear cracks in my elbow. Is this normal? Any idea what it could be?

Seems silly to go to a doc for this, and there is no pain involved. Does anybody have an idea, or anybody experience similar things?

I've always had this happen with my ankles and wrists and I personally think it's normal.

One silly memory I have as a kid is I was playing hide and go seek and I was "sneaking" around some bushes and well my ankle decided to make a "popping" sound every time I took a step...needless to say I wasn't very stealthy anymore.

Its fluid between the joints most of the time! Everyone gets it from time to time.

The cracking sound is actually not a “crack” at all, but a pop! When your joints crack, it is due to air bubbles in the synovial fluid popping. Synovial fluid is a clear, thick liquid that surrounds every joint in your system, providing cushioning and lubrication. When you stretch or bend a joint, you cause the bones of the joint to pull apart slightly. When this happens, the pressure of the synovial fluid drops, and bubbles start to form. As your joint gets stretched further apart, the pressure drops so low that the bubbles burst, creating the familiar noise of cracking. This process is called “cavitation".

For me it happens with my left elbow and when I weight train it grosses me out - also my right shoulder when I lay on my side in bed sometimes clicks...ugh!

I used to have a clicky jaw but that was down to my wisdom teeth and its fixed itself now.

You might be surprised how quickly a blend of Glucosamine, Chondroitin and MSN can help lubricate your joints and make you feel (and sound) suddenly 'normal'. These are commonly sold together in a single formula. I'd skip tablets and go for capsules--easier to digest.

I've also been reading up on hyaluronic acid (sodium hyaluronate) to supplement joint fluid. Lots of people swear by it, but I've been doing well since I started the Glucosamine.

Hope this helps!

Archived