can person skills be learned?

fatcat1999

I'm becoming more and more introverted and reserved recently coz I hate my job, and unfortunately my job is where I spent most of my time at. also English is not my native language, so I've hard time to understand subtle meaninings and ppl's jokes, so natually, I shielded away from hanging out with my coworkers and become less and less social .

before I came to the States, I'm a very funny person. I always prefer alone time but I'd no trouble feeling easy with a big group either.

I'm thinking getting my MBA and get into management, do you think it'll fit me?

can people skills be learned? will I become more of a people person? and become a good manager who manages ppl?

thanks.

I think you do learn them through time and experience, the more you deal with people, the better you get at it, you begin to learn what are the right things to say and do and what are the wrong things.

I think you will be able to learn and Im sure the people skills aspect is taught as well.

Yes, they can be learned, but to be successful you have to have good examples to observe and constructive feedback on how you're doing. I've coached a few of my coworkers so what you describe is a common issue - you aren't by any means unique

I know exactly how you feel. I've been right where you are.

I moved to the US in 1996. When I came here I thought my English was pretty good. But I soon realized that speaking English and speaking American are to different things. Commone expressions, slang, figures of speech can really throw someone off. I could tell so many stories about things that happened at my first job here in the US. Most of them are actually pretty funny. Like some guy at work asked me what the Chicks are like where I am from and I actually thought he was asking me about baby chickens. Seriously... how was I supposed to know he meant girls? lol...

And, like you, before I came here I was considered a funny person, though I've always been introverted. My first year here was pretty lonely. But eventually I sttled in and made friends.

How long have you been here?

5 yrs including 2 yr in shcool

I know exactly how you feel. I've been right where you are.

I moved to the US in 1996. When I came here I thought my English was pretty good. But I soon realized that speaking English and speaking American are to different things. Commone expressions, slang, figures of speech can really throw someone off. I could tell so many stories about things that happened at my first job here in the US. Most of them are actually pretty funny.

And, like you, before I came here I was considered a funny person, though I've always been introverted. My first year here was pretty lonely. But eventually I sttled in and made friends.

How long have you been here?

Unlike some of our excuses as why we can't socialize, you actually have a real reason. Meaning your reason for not talking to people isn't irrational. If you can't understand what people are talking about and laugh at jokes, then I can see why this would shy you away from wanting to hangout with people. There is a simple solution for your problem tho. When you do decide to make friends with someone, just be honest with them and yourself. Let them know that your English is not all that great and that you might not understand them sometimes.

Archived