Here is why receiving unemployment is BETTER than taking a paycut

I agree. I see that all the time in my line of work. People are super quiet and careful about job searching, even to the point of being fearful of applying to jobs internally in case your boss finds out.

Can you be sacked in America like that? Wow that stinks. I don't get how you can be fired for no reason like that. What do the unions say?

Most jobs in the U.S. are not unionized... If you're not in a union (and most people aren't), it is hire at will, fire at will. The can't fire you if doing so breaks a law (i.e., for some kind of discrimination due to sex or race), but otherwise everyone is free to hire, fire, or quit.

btw, if the OP wants to go on interviews 5 days a week, that really isn't realistic. There aren't that many openings out there, and you should only go to face to face interviews that are really a good match, and screen out most via a phone interview first.

Most people who interview take leave days, or say they have a dentist or doctor's appt. or family issue. You can schedule your interviews first thing in the morning or late in the afternoon, so you are not absent from work long. I've never found a job to be a hindrance to interviewing or finding another job, if you're serious and discreet about it.

Unemployment pays very little, and frequently people get offered lower salaries by prospective employers when they know you aren't currently working, because they know you want a job. So many people on unemployment do take pay cuts in their new jobs, regardless of what they hope for. The market is deflating, not inflating, so lower salaries are being offered to everyone.

I wish my husband had been given the option of a pay cut. He most definitely would have taken that over being thrown to the wolves. And we are now a month away from the end of unemployment. There is an extension after that until end of December, but I certainly hope we don't have to use it. But the shape his industry is in makes it very likely we will.

You may want to brush up on your fishing skills, CD.

I wish my husband had been given the option of a pay cut. He most definitely would have taken that over being thrown to the wolves. And we are now a month away from the end of unemployment. There is an extension after that until end of December, but I certainly hope we don't have to use it. But the shape his industry is in makes it very likely we will.

You may want to brush up on your fishing skills, CD.

I'm sorry to hear that things are tough - fingers crossed that things take an upturn for you.

I'm confused - what happens 'at the end of unemployment'? here in the UK you get it until you get another job.

I'm sorry to hear that things are tough - fingers crossed that things take an upturn for you.

I'm confused - what happens 'at the end of unemployment'? here in the UK you get it until you get another job.

Really? Wow! That is wonderful.

The government has made a decision since times are so tough here to extend it. The unemployment benefits began the second week of January. When the normal 26 weeks runs out, the extension will automatically kick in without any action on our part. Then at the end of December we will have to do without. I have hope that he will get a new job before that time, Honey Pumpkin. There are some leads now, but any will take him to another state I'm afraid. I will stay here with our boys and keep this home. We have moved way too many times now and are finally in a place that feels like home, after six years here.

we should not expect a high salary if we are not getting any good job for many months then it is better to get a low salary job and pick up the life again

It depends on what your definition of low is. I know what number I'm not going under when looking for a job.

I think everyone should have a salary range that they will stick to during the job search process

It depends on what your definition of low is. I know what number I'm not going under when looking for a job.

I think everyone should have a salary range that they will stick to during the job search process

What happens when your unemployment benefit runs out? But good to have a figure in mind.

My personal preference is to look for a job from a job, and aim for the figure then. If I were unemployed, I would give myself a month and then take any job and carry on looking.

In a perfect world. Practically everyone I know has had a cut in pay this year. One company I know of cut 10% pay accross the board and took one week of vacation away, and they stopped matching 401-K.

The people who managed to keep jobs when my husband's company was taken over are now making about HALF what they were paid before. But not one of them chose not to work. They are all hanging in and hoping things will get better, some are looking for new jobs but keeping what they have.

But whatever works for you.

What happens when your unemployment benefit runs out? But good to have a figure in mind.

My personal preference is to look for a job from a job, and aim for the figure then. If I were unemployed, I would give myself a month and then take any job and carry on looking.

You should never take ANY job. It shows you have no confidence in yourself

In a perfect world. Practically everyone I know has had a cut in pay this year. One company I know of cut 10% pay accross the board and took one week of vacation away, and they stopped matching 401-K.

The people who managed to keep jobs when my husband's company was taken over are now making about HALF what they were paid before. But not one of them chose not to work. They are all hanging in and hoping things will get better, some are looking for new jobs but keeping what they have.

But whatever works for you.

I never said if your pay was CUT you are supposed to quit and draw UC. I said it's better for a company to lay you off than keep you there and expect you to work the same for less money

You should never take ANY job. It shows you have no confidence in yourself

Meh. Better than being homeless I would say. And to be honest, I would take any job rather than be unemployed after a certain length of time.

But like I said, I disagreee with your original thread title - I think (personally) it's foolish. Get a job from a job if you can.

Meh. Better than being homeless I would say. And to be honest, I would take any job rather than be unemployed after a certain length of time.

But like I said, I disagreee with your original thread title - I think (personally) it's foolish. Get a job from a job if you can.

I'm saying during the first three months of unemployment you should not just take anything

I never said if your pay was CUT you are supposed to quit and draw UC. I said it's better for a company to lay you off than keep you there and expect you to work the same for less money

Expect? It's amazing to me that you think they would expect anything. If a company is struggling to keep the doors open, they are doing YOU a favor by cutting your pay and ALLOWING you to stay there. I am sure they would understand you may start looking for something better.

I wonder how people develop this sort of mentality. I really do.

It might be better for you, but a drag on the system and the states and country....

no tax rev for states..higher debt, and thus higher taxes down the road, and higher inflation....

less people on welfare and food stamps and unemployment, the better off everyone is......

Archived